Hi.

I'm trying to make a "shell replacement" (ie Litestep) and was wondering:

a) Would I be able to make a normal, borderless window that covered the screen as the "desktop" window?
a1) If so, is it possible to have moveable icons on this window?
And be able to (re)arrange them (like in Windows?)??

b) I would like to have my own windows that pop-up, instead of the normal windows. I am thinking that making them skinnable would be what I'm looking for -- where can I read up/see src/tut on making skinnable windows?? (masm-specific).

c) Any tips on how I would go on creating this?

I'm just trying to learn more about assembler and thought this would be a good project for me. I'll be using masm, if that at all helps. :)

-
Frihz
Posted on 2002-07-09 17:47:26 by frihz
To create a borderless window, simply use the WS_POPUP style and maximize the window (SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED). To have icons, that window must be a listview (SysListView32 class). To have custom skinnable windows, I guess you will have to owner draw every window and repaint its borders. Lots of work. By the way, isn't litestep open source?
Posted on 2002-07-09 18:39:34 by comrade
frihz your yahoo account was expired, mail notification won't work well that way :grin:

you'd best specify another mailaccount in your profile :)
Posted on 2002-07-09 20:04:59 by Hiroshimator
Here's a small part of the source for a shell replacement I worked on. Don't expect it to assemble, and it's very lame code but it should be enough to get you started.
Posted on 2002-07-10 14:54:49 by fresh
comrade:

Thanks, and I think Litestep is open source though I really doubt that it was written in assembler -- I also know I can "study" it or whatever (along with lots of other shell replacements which are also open source) but I have my reasons on why I haven't looked into it.

Hiroshimator:

:confused: Umm, well, I recieved the default "reply" message from the board, I never knew it was expired since I am still getting messages from people :/ No one's mentioned it before, anyway -- send any e-mail here: tehktik@phreaker.net for now :)

fresh:

Thanks.
Posted on 2002-07-10 16:41:54 by frihz

comrade:

Thanks, and I think Litestep is open source though I really doubt that it was written in assembler -- I also know I can "study" it or whatever (along with lots of other shell replacements which are also open source) but I have my reasons on why I haven't looked into it.

Assembler or not, you can still find useful information like API calls, techniques, etc.
Posted on 2002-07-10 23:22:48 by comrade
well the yahoo mail engine send the board a reply that your account was expired :)

So there might be an issue there. Just so you know.
Posted on 2002-07-11 06:42:54 by Hiroshimator