Hello Everybody

Do anyone know of a program that can open up and compare two large files and find the lines that may be difference from one another. The files are usually the same but sometimes i need to go to the back-up file and see exactly what changes were made by comparing it with the new file. ( sometimes the old file was the best one but may need to get a line or two from the new file than start all over again with the new MIDDLE file ) . Sorry if i am making it sound confussing. Just think about all of those old good asm files on your machine :)

Learning how to write it would be great but i would be just as happy with anything that can do it for now... If there is no program that you know of off hand do you have any ideas of how i would go about building a routine that can do it.

Thanks in Advance
Posted on 2002-07-12 01:18:44 by cmax
Look for a DOS/Windows port of the *nix tool diff.

I've never tried them on Windows or DOS, but gnu do windows ports of some Unix tools, so you could try there.

Mirno
Posted on 2002-07-12 03:34:21 by Mirno
Look for a DOS/Windows port of the *nix tool diff.
It is called 'fc', it is definately included with NT OSs, dunno about W9x though.
Posted on 2002-07-12 04:06:18 by sluggy
ultraedit(shareware) does file comparisons and there's probably a host of freeware editors which do it too.
Posted on 2002-07-12 04:19:36 by MArtial_Code

It is called 'fc', it is definately included with NT OSs, dunno about W9x though.

FC can not patch the file :rolleyes:
Posted on 2002-07-12 06:25:26 by bazik
if you really want an advanced file compare try Araxis Merge

http://www.araxis.com/merge/index.html

it's not free tho.
Posted on 2002-07-12 06:32:54 by savage
Posted on 2002-07-12 07:53:56 by bazik
If you want a binary file compare check out rixcomp...easy drag drop interface.

If you want text differences, either ultraedit or windiff are the common ones.
Posted on 2002-07-12 10:09:40 by grv575
Just think about all of those old good asm files on your machine.

Maybe cmax wants to compare text files (asm files) and not binary files? He did say that he wanted to find the lines that are different from each other, not the bytes. So instead of a patcher, or a heavy duty file compare type app, why not just use fc with the /l switch for text files:
fc /l /n c:\file1.asm c:\file2.asm | fc.txt

I've just got nt at work, so maybe the switches are different. Win9x also has this command though. The /l is for text compare. The /n displays the line numbers in the comparison which is nice. You can also use /c for case insensitive compares, and/or /u for comparing unicode text files, or even /a which only shows the first and last lines for each set of differences.

Unless I misunderstood cmax's post fc will do just fine.
Posted on 2002-07-12 10:13:38 by Will
Thanks Guys,

I'm just using Win95 so i think i will start searching the web starting with some of these suggestions.

Yes, I am just trying to compare some of my old ASM projects files with each other as listed by date so that i can easily find something that i have forgotten about or find out why this was working and this one is not... You know how you may delete something from a new ASM file and come to find down the line that you really needed that line for what ever reason and you don't remember where it came from what it was or even why you...

I got tons of old files that i want to re-check because it will be easy with a tool like this for me because all of my ASM files are built nearly the same and have been based all on one single project just have been revise over and over again because of better ideas i got from this Board over time.

It may take time but i will find what i am looking for with such a tool... that will problerly use two Wordpad or Strong Notepad Windows and stop at the lines where it see any differences.... Than maybe click a button to continue to the next differences in lines....

Strange maybe but it seem that this should be out there already... To the hunt I go...If i don't give up and if i find something good i will post the link here...

araxis product may not work for 9x but i am going to check it anyway...Thanks for a great start and i did not know ULTRA-EDIT was capable of doing something like this...Will be checking it out too... I think something like this would be more than a great tool (for *ASM*) :) programmers to use ....

Thanks again EveryBody

Posted on 2002-07-12 13:25:22 by cmax