As you noticed we have a FAQ forum.

the forum consists of threads with explications on various subjects taken from the board.
The first post (sticky one) is the index file. That file is auto-generated every hour so it will be up-to-date.

Use that file to look something up in the faq or search on the FAQ forum of course :)

The forum itself is read only but because the faq is new:

Is it browseable enough? Can you find things in it that interest you? Does it need a different structure?
Also if you have any threads that should go in it just post them here.

Any other remarks as well.

Thank You. :)

-H-
Posted on 2002-07-20 11:07:47 by Hiroshimator
adding this one would be nice, i remember that this question was asked a lot of times..
http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=6770

(It's the assembly books thread)

Bye
Posted on 2002-07-20 13:46:14 by NOP-erator
ok added.

thx :alright:
Posted on 2002-07-20 14:09:07 by Hiroshimator
If you are considering requests, I'd like to suggest this one:

http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=6755

Good tips on range checking from Bitrake, Nexo, and an uber-informative post from Maverick on the subject.
Posted on 2002-07-21 07:32:22 by ThoughtCriminal
done.

Thanks!
Posted on 2002-07-21 07:47:19 by bazik
may i ask what the purpose of this thing is? i mean do you really believe
that somebody reads through the entire faq after is has been grown up
to 100s of entries? another thing, this board has answered almost EVERY
question sometime-somehow, so if you point now on every new question
to the search engine or the faq, what are we're doing here now? is this
board now only good for semi-usefull heap discussions or what? i think
the whole attempt isn't such good for the community, our board nor for
newbies. a way better attemt would be to generate a codebase or
something like that (just grab all < code > tagged posts and put them
in a database). just my opinion, i did'nt think that it's that newbie friendly
to answer "serach-engine/faq! " on almost every "new" request.
i know you wouldn't change it anyway just because of me yelling around
but, and thats meant serious, i will not going to waste my time on a
socalled(not yet, only if my asumptions become true) asm board thats
only open for "the heap" and useless "i've got a black desktop" posts.
don't get me wrong, i like the heap and i think it's important for a
community(i hate this word) to have something like this but we're leaving
the path of a user-friendly asm-board to a semi-human-search-whatever
the hell you may call it-engine and thats bad i think.
Posted on 2002-07-22 06:40:12 by mob
mob,
our only problem is, that new and old members just don't use the search engine or
the FAQ. We know, that only a small amount of members reads the FAQ. The FAQ
index has 395 views right now... and about 50% are propably from me and Hiro :rolleyes:

What I learned is, that people who cannot programm "good", also don't use the search
engine. You see this, when you look at the repeated questions: "How to make a console App",
"How to detect another instance of my prog", "How to list all files in one directory".... IMO,
those are all very simple questions. If you want a answer for the above questions,
go to google and just type in the exact question plus the keyword "API". In 99% of cases, it
will show you at least wich API could help you. For example "FindFirstFile". Now just go to
the search engine of this Board, enter the API name + a keyword like "list" (in this case) and
you find several posts, wich have the solution for your question. But try to explain these steps
to "Newbies". Some members even can't speak english good enough to ask the correct questions :/

For me, the FAQ is just some point, where I can point someone to, when I know that the answer
for his question can be found in the FAQ. We will always have questions here, where we think
"How stupid!", but you can do nothing to prevent this.

Continous replying "use the search engine", "read the faq" etc is IMO the only way, how people
can learn to do this. I see a nice trend here, that answers to questions are given by simply
replying the name of the API to use. Thats IMHO a good way to learn people to search... if you
always reply to "stupid questions" wich complete working source code, they will continue to
ask, because they think "Hey, they give me the answer, why should I try it myself?". And to be
recursive, this is the difference between experienced and not so experienced programmers.

Posted on 2002-07-22 07:36:38 by bazik

Posted by bazik
I see a nice trend here, that answers to questions are given by simply
replying the name of the API to use. Thats IMHO a good way to learn people to search... if you
always reply to "stupid questions" wich complete working source code, they will continue to
ask, because they think "Hey, they give me the answer, why should I try it myself?".

I think bazik is right. i fit exactly into that kind of "ask stupid and easy questions" coder :tongue: , but that's not because i'm too stupid to search for the stuff i need, it's just that i'm too lazy. i know that this behaviour isn't ok.. sorry for that, i'm gonna change it (already have done that). often i need a lot of hours to get what i want by doing it by myself. but everybody has to admit: if you do something totally by yourself (just with little help/hints), you really have the feeling that you've done something, you feel proud of your *own* work! that for example happened to me today:

http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=6799
and here:
http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=6813

thank you all! :alright:

Noppy :grin:

Posted on 2002-07-22 07:45:13 by NOP-erator
90h,

IMO your questions were not stupid. With "stupid questions", I mean this kind of questions,
where 50%+ of the board members know the answer for. Tell me at least 50 members who
can answer DirectX questions ;)
Posted on 2002-07-22 08:02:29 by bazik
okay, you mean comrades answers for instance... i also think that this
is a good way. i only fear the future of this board... i still think
this type of restraint is fully against the simple rules of what a message
board stands for, even if almost everythings answered yet. mh anyway,
i never saw such things on other boards, maybe thats because they
want to grow... i am a member of dozens of boards which are way more
content-limited than this one and the members still don't react upset
when questions like "how do i draw cubes" on a cad-forum appear in a
weekly rate. in 2-3 years this board should have EVERY question
answered that is in any way related to asm... what to do then? cut all
rooms except the heap and exchange the banner above with: "win32
asm, we're not answering questions anymore, use the faq or the search-
engine"? we must keep this thing alive.
Posted on 2002-07-22 08:03:41 by mob
actually should the heap attract more people then main then it will simply be dropped :) (meaning a crowd that only posts there :| )

But the FAQ is just a groupement of recurring questions and things everyone looks for sometimes :/

We thought it to be nice to group them like that and to relieve some of the "aargh, not that question again!" stress I know some of you are feeling. :tongue: (I don't like RTFM replies either)

If it doesn't help it certainly won't damage :/ (but I do hope it helps some people)
Posted on 2002-07-22 08:08:06 by Hiroshimator
mob,
questions of this kind will continue with every new member who joins.
To prevent this, we should close registering... after half a year, we would
have no noobs anymore ;)
But thats for sure no option, because as you said this board must stay
alive.
I handle it that way, that I ignore "stupid posts" when I am in a bad mood,
and answer than when I am in a good mood :grin: Also my new signature
should give someone a clue what the way for finding a answer is ;)
Posted on 2002-07-22 08:12:10 by bazik

I handle it that way, that I ignore "stupid posts" when I am in a bad mood,
and answer than when I am in a good mood Also my new signature
should give someone a clue what the way for finding a answer is

sounds good, okay, on with the show
Posted on 2002-07-22 08:22:59 by mob
"With "stupid questions", I mean this kind of questions, where 50%+
of the board members know the answer for."

Remember what Hutch said: This is a USER FRIENDLY FORUM !!!

Now baZik, I don't think the attitude of that line is in this forums spirit !;)
Posted on 2002-07-24 09:23:20 by The SharK
pft. So just because this is a 'friendly forum', we have to answer the same questions
hundreds of times? And we cannot direct people to the search engine or the FAQ?
Did you know that the search feature lets you specify exact forums you want to search?
Yes, this makes it easy to find a question in the FAQ. Of course there's a lot of situations
where people dont know exactly which search criteria to enter - and then a moderator
(or other helpful person) can find the entry in the FAQ - instead of having to answer the
same question again. If the question has a new twist to it, the FAQ can be updated.

This has nothing to do with keeping the board alive, or being friendly, or whatever sillyness
you can think of - it's about being rational and being able to put an efford where it's needed.
If we one day reach a point where no new questions are asked, then let that be it - there
will no longer be a need for this board. I don't think that is likely to happen in the near
future though, so let's stop bitching.
Posted on 2002-07-26 19:31:27 by f0dder
Personally, I still consider myself a newbie, and I've been hanging around for months. I for one am grateful for the FAQ forum. I suggested the very thing a while back and my post quietly got moved to the "Community" forum (which, I don't see anymore). However, the whole point was that a FAQ forum would be *more* inviting to newbies. I think really you have to consider that the FAQ forum not only saves the better programmers from repeatedly answering questions, but it also saves the newbie from having to wait to get some information. Everybody gets things done faster. I hope that as a direct result of this new forum, the new people can develop faster and contribute to the forum instead of asking questions.

--Chorus
Posted on 2002-07-27 09:28:53 by chorus
You're right f0dder,
I haven't looked at it that way.:)
Posted on 2002-08-02 13:38:59 by The SharK