Hey guys, thought I would let you on some good info about ASM development under Window XP. I bought the preview version of XP about 1-2 months ago and have been coding as usual on the platform. I found that everything that I wrote under Win2K Professional is working perfectly under WinXP(Whew!!). WinXP does support all the cool Window effects that Win2K has(ie. layered windows, etc.). Unlike Win98. Run a layered Win app in Win98 and instant illegal operation, haha.

Anyhow, thought you all might be interested in knowing that MASM, and all its apps work properly as well. A couple of the IDE's that I play with have some problems, but they also existed in Win2000 as well. Well the good news is that Hutch wont have to worry about having to make fixes to run on this new OS!!

Haven't looked into the Xp specific coding stuff yet, but i'm sure there will be some cool new features available(like Layered windows in Win2K).

Also, if any of you use the freeware debugger OllyDBG, that also works great under WinXP as well.

One point of concern though. If any of you use tools such as InstallShield to package your apps you may find some problems there. I have had a couple apps crash during install. Not sure which install app they used to package it, but it died!! Luckily XP allows you to go into packaged Apps and extract the files manually.

Anyways, hope this puts some future XP coders nerves at bay
Posted on 2001-08-19 09:36:09 by Rock
I think people are more nervous about the raw socket support rather than wether or not their apps will run on it. But the fact that they do is good to know... Thanks.
Posted on 2001-08-19 16:16:07 by ChimpFace9000
I have been using XP for a couple months. So far I have had no problems with any games, software drivers, compilers, and what not.

For ASM perticulars both MASM and TASM work well. Also, command.com has some new old features taken from various unix shells making it much nicer to use.

If anyone has any specific questions I can try to answer.
Posted on 2001-08-19 16:42:11 by -T-
So they kept command.com :eek:

What unix features did they add (since it was based on unix in the first place)?
Posted on 2001-08-19 23:43:34 by eet_1024
To be honest we must say than command.com was based on CP/M's CCP (Command Control program) an NOT on the Unix Shell... (see FCB functions in early MS-DOS)

later they added some Unix style goodies but its was a kind of unnatural merge ;) ... besides i like CP/M better then Unix ;)
Posted on 2001-08-20 02:00:46 by BogdanOntanu
hah, that is really unbelieavable! that they kept command.com is a surprise, but that someone found its source code under the dust far away in a forgotten m$ building and that they improved it... hehehe weird ;)

but erh, is command.com still realmode / dos mode based? or did they make it 32bit too? that would be a better idea imho.

and btw, i think it can't still beat 4dos :)
Posted on 2001-08-20 04:29:35 by lifewire
I would suppose that the "command.com" of WinXP is really "cmd.exe",
which has been in NT (and win2k) for quite some time. It is much more
like a unix shell than crappy old command.com, and quite usable.

And no, it can't beat 4dos.com :(. I miss the way 4dos does tab-completion,
it's the best I've ever seen. And when you browse through your
history, 4dos tries to find a history match that includes the text
you have currently written. But apart from that, there isn't much else
in 4dos that beats cmd.exe, except perhaps aliases... but those can
be done with doskey, I suppose (I think they sorta put a "doskey"
inside cmd.exe, so don't be thinking doskey.com :D).
Posted on 2001-08-20 08:48:02 by f0dder
>I am talking about the dos window not the command interpreter

For starters, yes its more like win 2k version. It has the command history with up and down buttons and other stuff like that.

The main think I noticed is it is now much easier to cut and paste. You can select text from anywhere in the window a la rubber band and paste with a single button. Thats kind of nice.

Also, you can scroll up and down now. Go back and forward on the current line and choose weather to type over or insert.

The is a find and mark menu option.

Right now I can see they have removed the defult memory runtime options for the window. However I still believe that is accesable in the shorcut properties.

Just nice little things like that.
Posted on 2001-08-20 15:51:53 by -T-

And no, it can't beat 4dos.com :(. I miss the way 4dos does tab-completion,
it's the best I've ever seen..

I've tried 4DOS, along time ago, and I agree. Neither cmd nor command can beat 4DOS.

But if you install TweakUI you can se a tab "Cmd", at least under a NT-system:
Posted on 2002-07-05 09:19:52 by scientica
Yeah, there's tab completion in cmd.exe ... just not as good as 4dos
(ie, adding backslashes on directories and such). But it's a lot better
than nothing
Posted on 2002-07-05 10:11:30 by f0dder