Are there any DLL's, OCX's or examples, that show or allow to work with remote archives with help of the HTTP1 protocol? I have viwed the Iczelion's Zip downloader, but it is rather complex for a beginner. I am interested in RAR/ZIP/CAB archive formats.
Posted on 2001-08-19 12:07:53 by image
No coder can consider himself such if he cannot extract, dissect and analise the core,essence of things he discovers along his way.
Sometimes this is the best learning you can have. The 'hands on' approach. Thanks GOD there are many honest and generous souls like Iczelion who provide source code with their creations.

Don't be lazy. Saying that 'this is too complex for a begginer' is the EASIEST way out. What makes you think that there are other easier examples? What if Icz's is the EASIEST one around? will you cry in despair?

For starters it DOES NOT matter if you want to fiddle or toy with the X compression algorithm. First you must learn how HTTP (or any other) protocol works. Then you must have some winsock experience. Then and only then you'll decide if its Zip,Arj,Ace,Rar or PHUCK.

Iczelion's program is what YOU need to get you started.
Get the HTTP RFC, pay a visit to wotsit.org for your favorite file format and stop whinning.

Good Luck

Latigo
Posted on 2001-08-19 16:20:37 by latigo
I can not agree more. he Icz' example is really good, but it is too hard to get into assembler code just after you have learned VisualBasic with it's forms, controls, OCX's, ... Maybe I shouldhave more stamina...
Posted on 2001-08-19 18:16:25 by image
image, maybe your just torturing yourself by jump from one extreem to another. :) Do you program in assembly? I'm sorry, I don't know of a pre-packaged tool that you could use from VB.
Posted on 2001-08-19 21:39:17 by bitRAKE
Argh i always get this feeling when i post some semi-harsh answer...
Image go for the basic ones. Start out with some ASM book as a reference (Could be Art of Assembly or Norton's 8088 book on ASM or any of the 1000000 out there) and study Iczelion's tutorials.
Iczelion, Hutch and the guys in this forum couldn't have made it easier.

Good Luck :alright:

Latigo
Posted on 2001-08-19 23:07:22 by latigo