I have attached version 3 of Quick Editor.

It looks superficially the same but it is a complete rewrite to take advantage of some newer techniques and to produce a better internal architecture.

This version has intergrated settings and menu editors that are load on demand DLLs, it has enhanced printing support and it has a new scripting engine built into it for automating certain types of actions that can be done ion a text editor.

I have beaten it to death and I have been using it for some weeks now and it seems to be performing fine but I would appreciate any useful feedback if any proper bugs are found in it because I will use this later version in the next service pack for MASM32 and I need it to be reliable.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-08-01 12:23:56 by hutch--
Hutch--, it works great on Win2000 SP 2. Excellent work!

However, three of the new DLLs are false-alarmed upon by F-Secure AntiVirus, most likely because of the packer not fixing up section information (or whatever the correct technical terms are). I don't know if you wish to release it like that.

Posted on 2002-08-01 13:41:00 by Frank
Nice work, Steve!:alright:

2 suggestions:

1) Change the script extension, because .scr is reserved for "screensaver" (don't you get all the right-click-menu options on your win95b? :) )
2) Add checkmarks to the menu, so its visible if a option is selected (like selection tab).
Posted on 2002-08-01 14:09:24 by bazik
No problem on Win2k SP2, Kaspersky AVP(No False Alarms) :alright:
Posted on 2002-08-01 14:10:21 by stryker
Very nice!
Posted on 2002-08-01 14:18:30 by comrade
Compliments on this new version... the fresh-up really improved the editor... (it looks younger, faster and neater than the previous version that was starting to get old).

I would recommend something too... the main window title doesn't have the "QEditor" name in it... only "Untitled"... when you have many programs on the taskbar, it is useful to know at the first glance to which application the open document belongs to... but that is minor...
Posted on 2002-08-01 14:39:32 by JCP
hutch--, awesome scripting engine - truely makes it a programmers editor on another level.
Posted on 2002-08-01 16:58:15 by bitRAKE
Hi Hutch

I noticed your new Quick Editor was crashing on my Win95b system when I pressed tab key, complaining about some division error. Then I checked the settings menu and saw that the Tab size is set to zero by default. When I set it to a number, it works properly... so maybe some div by zero should be checked somewhere in the code.

Despite that, the new options look very cool.
Good work :alright:

Salieri
Posted on 2002-08-02 08:01:55 by Salieri
Guys,

Thanks for your feedback, its very useful in cleaning up the odd bugs that are left.

What I have got so far,

1. SCR extension will need to be changed.

2. The TAB key problem, I can reproduce that with no problems so that can be fixed OK.

3. The problem with F-Secure is one I am not sure how to fix. I think I have had a problem reported before with a copule of the template plugin DLLs and they are not compressed at all so it sems to be that F-Secure does not like PowerBASIC DLLs. There are some virus scanners that have defective heuristic scanning and there is not much I can do about it unfortunately.

I will be interested to see how different people find the scripting engine.
Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-08-02 09:02:46 by hutch--
OK,

I have done the 2 fixes that I could do easily, the divide by zero problem does not occur and it shpows a warning if the tab setting is zero and I have changed the extension for the scripts to QSC so you will need to rename any scripts to the QSC extension.

I have attached just the QE binary with the two fixes done.

Regards and Thanks for helping.

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-08-02 09:58:28 by hutch--

there is not much I can do about it unfortunately

i wrote this little tool for you... maybe it works maybe not... i use nod32 so
i can not test it... but however, i never saw such strange dll's in my whole
life... seems like powerbasic calculates the alignment randomly... crazy. :)

if it doesn't help maybe i can fix a few things to get it working...

mh, had problems when attaching the file... here is it...

(right-mouse-button -> save target ... because of brinkster :( )
Posted on 2002-08-05 07:59:08 by mob
Mob,

Thanks for writing this toy, I have had a quick read through it and it looks like it loads the file into a memory mapped file and does some alignment modifications on it.

Unfortunately I do not have any software that triggers a false positive so I don't know how to test it.

I wonder if someone else who has both the new QE and mob's tool could test it to see if it no longer triggers false positives on some virus scanners.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-08-05 09:30:18 by hutch--
okies I just ran this under xp (corp pro) and I see the text in the display window scaled down until it is tiny. My screen res is 800x600.

How can I change the font size in the display window?
Posted on 2002-08-30 00:33:46 by Homer
Homer,

The only way I have seen this happen is if the old INI file is used in the wrong place. If this is the problem, delete the settings in the old INI file and reload the INI file renamed as menus.ini.

You can set the font size and type by running the settings option from the EDIT menu and this saves the settings and refreshes them when you click save in the settings editor.

Let me know if you have any more problems.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-08-30 20:02:19 by hutch--
Very Nice Editor
Though one suggestion... Switch the "Load Script" hotkey from Ctrl-Back, so that Ctrl-Back can be used while editing.
Posted on 2002-08-30 21:31:11 by Soul~Drudge
Thanks Hutch, that got it sorted out.
Posted on 2002-08-31 05:49:01 by Homer
One quick question in the previous versions I had the ability to select a menu option to compile a DLL or an EXE, has that been removed because its not there or must I do that manually? If so can someone point me in the direction of a tut on doing this? Dont want to put too much extra work on Hutch.
Posted on 2002-09-06 21:04:13 by x86asm
x86,

About the only difference with building a DLL is an additional link option. MASM32 has never had a default setup for assembling DLLs but its no big deal to do.

There are a couple of DLL examples in the example code, one a simple one, the other is the QE plugin format so just have a look at the batch file in those two examples to see how its done.

When you are happy with the idea, modify one so that it accepts the DOS batch file replacable parameter "%1" and set up your own DLL build format. Adding it to the menus in QE is easy enough and you have a custom DLL build of your own design.

Let me know if it works OK or if you have any problems and I will see if I can do a batch file that works OK.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-09-07 03:41:00 by hutch--
I'm very sorry Hutch-- but I'm ignorant in Batch programming, not only that I dont know how to compile in MASM32 and LINK, I think I should research how, I would like to learn how to set up the linker so it can make a WIN32 PE and a WIn32 DLL
Posted on 2002-09-07 18:51:28 by x86asm
Thats OK dude, batch files are not as common as they used to be so here is a simple version that will build a DLL as long as you understand what a DEF file is and how to write one.

@echo off

if exist "%1.obj" del "%1.obj"
if exist "%1.dll" del "%1.dll"

\masm32\bin\ml /c /coff "%1.asm"

\masm32\bin\Link /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /DLL /DEF:"%1.def" "%1.obj"

dir "%1.*"

pause

Just name it something like "builddll.bat" and set it up in QE on the project menu and it should do the job for you.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-09-08 00:06:34 by hutch--