Where can I go to look up opcodes.... Like where I can find the hex values of instructions.

Also, is there a program out there that I could use to.... say....

Give it some asm code, and it will spit out the hex values? Or give it hex values, and it will give me the asm code?
Posted on 2002-08-07 01:12:35 by Eras3r
There is the opcodes help file that comes with masm32
Posted on 2002-08-07 01:47:38 by Kudos

Where can I go to look up opcodes.... Like where I can find the hex values of instructions.
Also, is there a program out there that I could use to.... say....
Give it some asm code, and it will spit out the hex values? Or give it hex values, and it will give me the asm code?

Go to the Intel and find there IA-32 Intel? Architecture Software Developer?s Manual. I advise you to download all three volume, thought for your purpose you need volume two (Instruction Set Reference). Also you may need to go to site of AMD and to download some papers about their extensions.
Posted on 2002-08-07 02:20:19 by Aquila
asm->hex, use nasm binary output ;). Not that certain opcodes will change depending on their assembled location (ie, EIP-relative stuff like call and jmp).

hex->asm (or rather, binary programs->asm) get a disassembler.

Get hold of both HIEW and hexit, two excellent hex editors; both feature assembly and disassembly.
Posted on 2002-08-07 03:41:56 by f0dder
Its the "whatnots" that will get you.

Aquila has given you the best reference there is, the Intel manuals direct from Intel, get either the PIII or the PIV manual set from them and you have the best reference material directly from the manufacturer.

http://developer.intel.com/design/PentiumIII/manuals/

You will have to look for the PIV manuals on the Intel site.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-08-07 05:45:16 by hutch--