Hi!
Is he still working on new Tutorials, or are they finished?
Posted on 2002-08-11 08:14:41 by Subby
these set of tutes have been like this for a long time ...
I myself didn't finish them all and thats because these tutes are ment to teach the basics and not the whole win32api ...
you now can find anything you need by yourself ...
do you have a copy of the PSDK ?
go get one if you don't and search in it for what you want to know more about ...
Posted on 2002-08-11 08:55:14 by code1101
Hi Subby,

Well I'm sure he's not completely finished writing them. It takes time to write a good tut and with things to do besides programming, he's probably too busy to write more, and besides, he has created such a strong foundation for us to learn from that it's easy to figure out new stuff and thus not requiring the need for new tuts.

But, tuts are allways welcome in the community, they just don't really need to be all by Iczelion, if anyone has written one I'm sure someone out there would like the chance to read it.

James:alright:
Posted on 2002-08-11 08:59:14 by JamesE
I agree with JamesE 100% and i am still into the old tutes. It got to be the MAX when Iczelion do it AGAIN. I think i am a B+ student now. I got time... I don't want to miss NOTHING .... That way i will have no execute for any fail fuctions in my ASM experence....
Posted on 2002-08-11 16:38:00 by cmax
well the guy did a great job and no one would refuse to read more from him ... but he already did enough for someone to get started and prepared to look for things by himself or by asking others ... I mean you can't expect the guy to write a tutes explaining every api ...
don't get me wrong ... I'd love to see more tutes from him ... infact I almost have all the files on his site at my comp ... but when was the last time he made a new tute?
and if there is going to be another tute ... then what do you expect it'll be about?
JamesE ... you sound almost sure ... did you hear about new tutes that are going to come up?

well ... I hope there will more from him and I'll make sure to grab me a copy ... even if I didn't read it ... it just feels safe to have these tutes at my hard disk waiting to get to my dameged brain one day ... :grin:
Posted on 2002-08-11 17:29:39 by code1101
Iczelion is busy with real life (good luck with that, grandmaster Icz ;)).

And really, if you've worked your way through the tutorials and have *understood* them, not just "copy-paste-gee-it-works", then you shouldn't need more of this style of tutorials - the PlatformSDK will answer (most of) your questions.

What I see a higher need for, is introductory assembly material - focusing on the asm, not the API. The work environment (32bitflat mode ring3), the rules, the terminology... work on this has been done by our very own mad wizard :), but there's still lots of work to do. I wish I had the time...
Posted on 2002-08-11 17:44:55 by f0dder
Hi!

That wasn't an request or sth. like that ;)
Just a question :))
I wanted to know that cause I'm working through all the Tut's and I haven't seen such good Tutorials yet. They are really great and I have learned a lot. But like you said I also think if I'm through I won't need many more tut's.

Probably when I'm through I will try a little bit OpenGL (not seriously, just a little bit playing). Does anybody know a good introduction in opengl
Posted on 2002-08-12 05:56:07 by Subby
search in the game section for OpenGL ...

most of the tutes or books explaining OpenGL are C++ based .... :(

if you find any masm specific or at least asm specific then let me know please cos I'm really not that good ( almost knownothing ) at C++ ...
Posted on 2002-08-12 06:19:40 by code1101
check out the nehe opengl tutorials.

nehe.gamedev.net

at the bottom of each tutorial you will find links to different
source-code translations. MASM specific, included.

M
Posted on 2002-08-12 23:34:12 by Markus
I never tried reading those yet cos I thought it would be bothering to read the tuts and trying to figure or compare the c++ code with scalp code ... but as everyone says that nehes tuts are good way for starters I guess its the best way yet to start opengl in masm ...
Posted on 2002-08-13 07:41:43 by code1101
f0dd (or anyone for that matter), could you recommend any books/tutorials which go over the asm lang itself? i've gone through a lot of iczelion's tutorials, as well as the first 6 or so chps of The Art of Assembly Language Programming (the old 16-bit one). I'm doing stuff in Java first year :( but it's meant for beginners so I've got time to read. I'd appreciate any direction you can give me. thx!
Posted on 2002-09-26 15:21:58 by Miko
dunno any books about assembly, except for (very) outdated 16bit ones. Our Mad Wizard (http://www.madwizard.org) has some OK introductory stuff on 32bit assembly. I find that
it helps knowing a highlevel language before diving into assembly - at least that has been
the case for me and a couple of other persons I know - but people learn things differently.
My own experience with java isn't great, but although I wouldn't like being stuck with the
language, it seems like an OK way to learn fundamental (and more advanced) programming
topics. The thing to remember is... never think anything is the absolute truth - especially
not something a teacher says. I've seen too many people become brainwashed by university :).
Posted on 2002-09-27 17:52:56 by f0dder
well i've played around with most HLL's, and quite comfortable with them. hehe don't worry about me getting brainwashed. tutorials to me are good at just teaching the language (which i still lack a lot of knowledge in), and showing different ways of approaching problems. i try to read them all objectively :grin:
Posted on 2002-09-27 18:20:38 by Miko
An article on translating C/C++ statements to assembly will be very usefull for beginners since most documentation is in C/C++ any way.

After that the beginner can try to let the C compiler output an assembly file and study what it does.

Then after the beginner learn how to translate from C to assembly he will begin to understand how many stupid things a compiler can make :) and try to out think the compiler. Wich is very easy since the programmer should know more about the program than the compiler anyway. (If not I advice to look for another profession :) ).
Posted on 2002-09-27 18:26:18 by dxantos