Hello everyone

I just have a simple guestion for Fasm user's. The thing is, I've decided to start asm programming and for me the Fasm seems to be the most interesting tool for that purpose. I'm working daily with mostly security related Open Source software and that's why I want to keep it that way (Open Source) in asm coding too. I would like to start with Fasm if it is possible allthough I know there are also other good Open Source asm compilers. Anyway, I would appreciate if someone could advice me where to start with Fasm? I've already downloaded the main package (1.39) and the code examples in Fasm homepage, but is there something more to help me with learning Fasm? I know the Fasm tutorial is under construction by Privalov, but there must be some other material in WWW (Fasm code sniplets, short tut's, anything...) or am I wrong? I have couple years programming experience in VB, Pascal, C++ etc., so I believe I will survive in asm and Fasm world too, if I just could get some more material to work with. Reading the Fasm source is quite hard for asm beginner and I wouldn't mind to study a little bit easier stuff first. There is no problem to have asm tut's in general, but how to apply them to Fasm as mostly tut's seems to be highly MASM related. Any advice is welcome.

And sorry for my bad english. I'm still working with that too...

Greetings,
Leonnet
Posted on 2002-08-13 13:59:54 by Leonnet
Yep asm source is very hard to read if your not used to it.

Get yourself a good opcode reference such as this one x86eas also check out Iczelions FAQ.

If you really have no clue about assembly then you'll need to do some reading first, I learned from Art of Assembly 16bit so it's the only one I can vouch for.

Note Iczelions site is more geared towards Masm, however with this small example you'll be able to use Fasm in a similar fashion, if you want.

Also get the very latest Fasm

Best of luck, and don't forget to heck the FAQ here.

"And sorry for my bad english. I'm still working with that too..." Bad English, where? If you hadn't said anything I'd have assumed you were fluent :)
Posted on 2002-08-13 16:37:35 by Eóin
You may also look into my under-construction docs. I have converted it to PDF 1.0, because some fasm users want to read it under DOS and there is only Acrobat Reader 1.0 available for this system. The tutorials will come later, I want to finish the second chapter first, quite much is already done.
Posted on 2002-08-13 17:32:40 by Tomasz Grysztar
Hi, where can one find & download Acrobat Reader 1.0 for Dos, pleaze? :)
Posted on 2002-08-14 01:52:57 by Maverick
Posted on 2002-08-14 02:00:52 by bazik
Posted on 2002-08-14 08:09:57 by Maverick
Thanks for good answers. Art of Assembly tutorial, Privalov docs and other material you told me, seems like a great source to start with. Hopefully I can combine my information security experience (job) and future asm skills to examine security a little bit deeper than now. After all, the truth is often under the (pretty) surface.

Greetings,
Leonnet
Posted on 2002-08-14 08:52:29 by Leonnet
In my oppinion, if one are to write security related software i think the best and safest way is by coding it in assembly. Sine HLLs do lots of things, and sometimes too much, causing security leaks. And the software becomees faster and smaller when written in assembly, than in any HLL.
There is a pice of documentation i realy recomend, the win32.hlp. This help file contains the most (if not all documented) API functions, structs, etc.

BTW, Leonnet, as you said the truth is often under the (pretty) surface. And when looking at a dissasembly of a C++ written program, you can tell why assembly written code is smaller...
Posted on 2002-08-15 00:27:51 by scientica