I've just started using the HLA Assembler (learning tool?).
It compiles the HW.HLA test file fine, but with any other example
file it (MASM32) gives me a linker (LNK1120:/ unresolved externals) error
also -
Link: error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _HLAMain "programName": fatal error LNK1120:/unresolved externals

Can anyone help me with this? That is, can you give me some ideas as to what is happening and what to
do.
Thanks in advance.
Posted on 2002-08-22 16:37:32 by kes103
kes,

HLA and MASM32 are just different systems, with Randy Hyde's HLA, if you use it as he has documented it, it should do the job fine but with MASM32, it must be built to the system that MASM32 uses.

The source files are in entirely different formats, Randy has a format specific to the HLA that he has written where MASM32 and most other MASM files are direct assembler so the two will not work together.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-08-22 18:20:20 by hutch--
Hutch,
My understanding is that HLA is a higher level language than Assembly.
However, HLA converts HLA code to *.asm code and then calls MASM or MASM32 to compile and link the program. As I said before, the HW.HLA
works fine but the other example files have that link error.
Can anyone help with this?
Posted on 2002-08-22 20:15:53 by kes103
kes103,

Thats why I bothered to explain it to you, different formats are different formats, you are making assumptions without knowing how the two systems work.

When you are familiar with both, you can probably alternate between the two but as long as you try and build direct MASM code with HLA, you will continue to get problems.

What I would suggest is that you build the HLA samples in HLA and build the MASM32 samples in MASM32. That way you get to see both systems.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-08-23 03:56:35 by hutch--
Hutch,
Thank you for your efforts.
After experimenting some more, I see that MASM32 won't compile the *.asm
files from QEDIT and after reading through AOA some more I saw that R. Hyde states that not all of the example files will (I believe he says) compile in either Windows or Unix. So I suppose he's trying or tried to mix between Unix and Windows. Anyway, after trying several more example I found one more that compiled and linked using HLA. Well, I think it would certainly be more helpful if he would state which should work under Windows and which should not.
Posted on 2002-08-23 06:02:48 by kes103