I'd like to know if any of you guys did some development on both win32 and linux for x86 machines. In that case which assembler did you use?

If possible I'd like to avoid nasm because I like masm syntax alot more so maybe there is a alternative?
Another thing which makes me dislike nasm is that I allready wrote a few thousand lines in my project which could be tedious to manually parse to nasm syntax to make it compile again.

As for external calls I thought about changing the api in the following way:

call my_api_function

This function then points to the real one:

my_api_function:
jmp real_api

The idea is that I could seperate the api's from the actual code and by doing that I would be able to put windows api calls in one file and linux api calls in another. Then it's easily possible to change the build rules to use the win32 api file on windows compiling and the linux file on linux compiling.

What I am basicly asking for is a masm syntax assembler for linux. Maybe there are some for other unices like FreeBSD and Solaris on x86 too?

// CyberHeg
Posted on 2002-08-24 01:46:35 by CyberHeg
FASM works on Linux and Windows.
And for the API, you could use a wrapper like wxWindows -> www.wxwindows.org.
But its also possible to write a exe which runs on both OS without recompiling (I saw
the source code for some v1r11 doing it :) )
Posted on 2002-08-24 03:17:10 by bazik
Hi bazik:,
This is extremely interesting (not the vir*s, but the multi-OS technique). I was very interested into Dos/Win32 dual EXE's, I hoped that could be possible with Linux as well, but never believed it possible. Do you have a link or any info on that source or any related docs, or even just the vir*s name please? I'd appreciate it much.

Trial EXE's would do my day :grin:
Posted on 2002-08-25 03:08:44 by Maverick
The v1r11s name is Win32/Linux.Winux by benny/29A
Posted on 2002-08-25 08:01:54 by roticv