I was coding in assembler between 10 and 14 years ago... It seems like forever ago.

Anyway, I've been doing Pascal/C/C++/Java/EJBs/COM etc for the last decade.

I grabed some material and found my way to the HLA (high-level assembly) stuff at http://webster.cs.ucr.edu.

I must say, that I was intrigued by the concepts in there, but I wanted to see if anyone actually uses that. Last time I did assembler, we din't have no Classes!

It seems somewhat blasphemous to use that kind of thing, as it hides *some* of the complexity of assembler away from the developer, but leaves the ability to code the way I want to. Weird stuff.

Comments?

PD
Posted on 2002-08-29 13:40:49 by Perpetua Dragon
Too many ((brackets)) for me. ;
And god ;
I hate typing a ;
at every end of line ;

Guess Randy's students like it tho. ;
It kind of looks more High Level ;
and this makes it easier for them to get into it. ;
I guess ;
Posted on 2002-08-29 13:52:59 by JimmyClif
he's explained himself. trying to teach the most at the least amount of time. i think it's effective. and he does recommend learning "real" asm afterwards.
Posted on 2002-08-29 14:57:47 by pixelwise
Randy Hyde has done a lot of good work over the years to keep assembler within the range of programmers. His older DOS work is a classic and his new work with HLA is a very good introduction into assembler.

What I would suggest is that once you feel comfortable with HLA and you start to get more curious, have a look at MASM32 and some of the alternative environments that use its bits to make modern 32 bit assembler viable under current conditions.

Its fun stuff and if its written correctly, the performance is excellent so there is plenty of motivation to go that way if you like fast and small stuff.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-08-29 21:38:53 by hutch--
Well, I'm glad it didn't get slagged!

I'm just fascinated by the concept of a high-level assembly. I never even guessed that someone would think in that direction.

That being said, I'm going to try some of that, and see where it takes me. It sure makes me feel younger to look at the instructions again. :)
Posted on 2002-09-03 16:31:45 by Perpetua Dragon