I have read ICZELLION tutorials for WIN32 ASM.

And I cannot think of any projects that i can do with my little experience i have with MASM

Can anyone tell me of some projects for beginners of WIN32 ASM can make and get experience from.
Posted on 2001-08-24 01:33:40 by kenalex
When I started out Win32 asm programming some 5 years ago I already was an experienced asm programmer. It still took me a year or so until I first created something worth saving.
This project was Avi Capture. To do this project you need a web cam or TV-card. If you dont have this I might suggest creating a text editor. Then you can expand this to your personal asm editor.
A lot of newbies create their own asm editor, I too did and when I had enough experience I created RadASM based on my first attemts.

Good luck. And dont give up even if the road seem endless.

KetilO
Posted on 2001-08-24 02:23:02 by KetilO
kenalex,

Keep it simple so you don?t get overly frustrated and give up.:(

Make a dialog that lets you enter a decimal number then output
the hex and binary equivalents. This will help teach you program
flow. Keeping projects simple in the beginning allows you to
study and learn from your source without feeling overwhelmed.

Create a window and learn to draw on it using the GDI API?s.
Zadkiel and a few other guys here in the forum are wizards with
the graphics stuff. I?m sure they?d be happy to direct you to their
many source code examples.

And keep Iczellion's tutorials handy for quick reference.:alright:
Posted on 2001-08-24 06:24:47 by bcraven
That's one problem learning WIN32 programming (not just asm), you seem to have to know it all before you can do anything.

I like the idea of doing some simple project as a learning thing, as that's what I usually do. For Win32 asm, I did a re-write of a simple timer program I already was using that I'd written in VB.

The basic rule here is to produce a complete, professional work that does something simple. You'll have enough details just doing what any windows program should do that you don't want to overly complicate your life.

The timer program took me about 2 months to finish, gave me a great intro to handleing lots of asm issues, plus a great intro to the win32 api. When it was done, I had the feeling of how the api did things, so if I didn't know what function to use, I had the idea where to look for it.
Posted on 2001-08-24 07:30:03 by Ernie
Agreed,

I started doing little things.. lots of them... most of them like moving text from one window to another. Or a simple window with a picture.. etc. etc.

Each one had only one thing of interest, so you really get a feel of what code you will always see, and what is specific to the function you build. As well, now i have a simple library of 'snippettes' that do only one thing each. Some of them i never look back into, but some i do.

As well you MUST have an API referece. Iczelion spells out the API's he uses in his examples, but these are only the tip of the iceberg, you really need to practice looking up API's ~ this was the real learing curve for me.

If you dont already have one, you can get one off my website..
At this page...

Good luck...

NaN
Posted on 2001-08-24 13:53:00 by NaN
always remember you're not alone beeing newbie.
;)

learning by doing.
Posted on 2001-08-24 14:54:36 by marsface
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE..

ASM IS THE BEST.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE...
Posted on 2001-08-25 00:56:22 by kenalex