There are some really great IDE's here, but what I don't understand is why none of them handle files in other folders than an asm, inc and res folders. If I'm missing the fact that it can be done, then I'm sorry, but it's just not obvious to me and maybe I'm not taking enough time to study them.

What I like to do is have a heirarchy. Like the main project folder which contains "main" and subfolders for "display" "graphics" "input" etc. Each of these might have their own "inc" files or just text for notes.

Now, I realize that it complicates things when setting up the assembler and linker and make file, but I do it that way so I don't have a ton of asm files all in one folder, or asm and inc files all mixed together.

I don't mind manually setting up those things, but I do wish the ide would help me manage and track the files.

Off Topic: This is my first post. I am so impressed with the professionalism and intelligent thoughts on this board.
Posted on 2002-09-05 09:35:33 by drhowarddrfine
It's not possible for an ide to cater for every tom/dick&harry's project file organisation.
I thinks it's enoguh to have a basic couple of folders. if you want to take your file organistaion to another level then simply create he folders you want put the files in them and include them in the project.

RadASM will allo you to create a template.. the template will hold the entire directory structure whch you specify... When you creat a project based on the template it creates the folders for you.
Give it a try...
Posted on 2002-09-05 12:50:15 by MArtial_Code
It should be possible all right, it's just that most IDE's don't have integrated file managing features, so you'll either have to put it in a template of your own or edit the project file yourself (for RadASM, I don't know about the others).

If you need more, it shouldn't be that hard to do with a RadASM addin.

Offtopic:
I am so impressed with the professionalism and intelligent thoughts on this board.

Haven't checked the heap yet, have you? ;) Welcome to the board!
Posted on 2002-09-05 12:57:54 by Qweerdy
With RadASM it is very simple.

When adding a new file to a project, create the folder first (with open file dialog), then add the file in that folder (still in the same open file dialog). I even use the open file dialog to create a complete copy of the project.

KetilO
Posted on 2002-09-05 13:42:50 by KetilO
That does what I would want it to do but rather than / for the path names I'd rather have the actual folder icon to help distinguish it from the other files. In fact, it would be better if the files were in the folder and not exposed so I could work within the confines of that folder and not get overwhelmed by all my other mish-mash. In other words, have it work like Windows Explorer.

I know this is my own customization issue, but I think a rather valid one. Maybe it's only an issue with large programs, but I would think it would help with organization.
Posted on 2002-09-05 17:04:43 by drhowarddrfine
In AsmEdit if you open a .asm, .rc, or .inc file
that's not in it's project list it will create a
project that points to the folder where the file lives.

Then when you open the project in the Treeview
you can open any file in the project folder by
turning the filter off.

Ewayne
Posted on 2002-09-14 12:34:58 by Ewayne