What is static code and static data segment in a vxd?
I've read that static code and data is not unloaded when dynamic vxd unloads.
is STATIC EQU LOCKED ?

To BAZIK :
I swear I've done search and found nothing on this topic.:grin:
Posted on 2002-09-10 05:02:26 by Vaxon
Hello Vaxon,

Maybe this link has answers to your questions: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.vxd&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&btnG=Google+Search&site=groups
If you search here for 'static code' many pages of messages come up. I don't have time to read them all but perhaps one of them will answer your question. If you already have this link then sorry, I can't help.

best regards,

czDrillard
Posted on 2002-09-10 09:58:04 by czDrillard
The way I understand it is, there are 2 kinds of vxd's. Dynamically loaded and static loaded.
There is no "static code" in either.

If you do a static vxd, (one that is loaded as windows is loading), then it never unloads until windows unloads. Dynamics are of course fully loadable and unloadable by the programmer.

As far as data and code types, there is locked, and unlocked areas for both data and code. All that means is that locked code or data will not be paged onto the harddrive, and unlocked can be paged to the harddrive.
Posted on 2002-09-10 11:21:08 by sceptor
Thanks czDrillard.
That's a good link. I could find the info I needed there.

To sceptor:
Thank you. You are right about locked and pageable segments, but there are also static data and code segments in vxd: _STEXT and _SDATA (VxD_STATIC_CODE(DATA)_SEG). They don't unload even if dynamic vxd is unloaded. You can place interrupt or hook handlers in those segments if you want to use them after your dynamic vxd unloads.
Posted on 2002-09-12 02:33:54 by Vaxon
So what your saying is, your question was a test? LOL

Just goes to show how little I know about vxd's.
Posted on 2002-09-12 07:18:54 by sceptor