Ewayne's and Ketilo's IDE are superb, and the others are interesting.
I've got them all installed and play with them.
For the last year I've used ConTEXT editor and run my make file at the
commandline in a DOS box.
A few days ago I discovered Syn!
I'm now using it as my main editor and IDE. It enables me to run my make
file and capture console output, so is a basic IDE, not just an editor.
I've added this to my "x86" page:

"Syn. I used ConTEXT very happily for about a year, then recently (Sept. 2002) discovered Syn text editor that I like even more. Syntax highlighting for about 40 languages. Fast. It has nice IDE features so overlaps with the next section. Free and open source. http://syn.sourceforge.net/."

My "x86" page is at:
http://www.goosee.com/x86/

However, Ewayne and others have stuff that is very useful, such as the resource editors, so will keep playing with them all.
Posted on 2002-09-13 11:44:50 by bkauler
Barry,

Thanks for sharing your find with us this is effectively a very good programmer editor that I didn't find until now...

Like you, I used to use RadASM, but as I program also in C, I wished to have only one editor for all my programming needs, that is relatively small, free, and versatile and flexible enough...
I used Jens' File Editor for now, which is a really good editor, small and all, but has few bugs and some user friendly issues to my personnal taste and its development doesn't seem to be continuous... and according to the ConText message board, the ConText editor has some big problems (corrupts some files randomly...)

I will look further at the doc this syn editor, as I have few questions that I didn't find answer for now in the menus and options (how to auto-indent a C program, (auto indent option doesn't seems to work) how to define/modify the syntax highlighting file, etc).

Thanks again for having shared this link. :)
Posted on 2002-09-13 16:54:18 by JCP
Yes, I'm uncertain about the syntax highlighting.
When I opened my ".asm" file, the highlighting was weird, and I
discovered that it was applying the 68HC11 microcontroller assembler
highlighter. Syn seems to just look through a list and stopped at the first
one that had ".asm" defined in it.
I got around this by removing .asm from the 68HC11 definition
-- don't know if this was the right way to do it, but it works.

Syn then keeps looking and finds .asm in the "x86 assembler" definition.
However, I can't see how to modify the colors. I scanned the docs, can't
see anything. Seems that you may have to use the "Custom highlighter"
to define your own from scratch.
Well, it's open source, so you can compile your own completely customised
editor!

I have received an email from the author of Syn, so I'll invite him to respond
to this thread.
Posted on 2002-09-14 04:01:29 by bkauler
Hey,

Did you not say that it was Open-Source ? If so, then can't you just fix the "bugs" your self ? I know you shouldn't have to do this, but at least then, you can customise the thing :)
Posted on 2002-09-14 06:27:50 by Dracton
Hi,

I'm the author of syn, and here are my answers :-)

Autoindent: Autoindent in syn means the next line is indented like the line above, unfortunately ther is no intelligent intendation in syn, since it supports about 40 languages, and to indent code intelligently it must have some kind of lexical parser. You know: Pascal uses begin/end, C/C++, Perl and lot other languages uses {/}, VB and Python uses an extremely strange syntax etc.

It is possible to make your own Syntaxhighlight, see the Custom Highlighter section in the Manual. Currently it is only possible to have one custom highlighter, but in the future it should be that you have just a definition file for the highlighter (see above, scriptable highlighter) anb syn should search a directory for such files, and create a highlighter.

*.asm files: Yes syn looks only for the file extension to determine the proper highlighter (what would be a better way?).

Modify the colors: go to Options -> Syntaxhighlight -> choose the language and modify the colors for the different components (e.g. Strings, Keywords...).

HTH Stefan
Posted on 2002-09-14 06:49:39 by stievie
ad Bugs: If you've found a bug you should post it to the bug tracker http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=58130&atid=486609. Current count is 1, so I assumed it's quite usable.
Posted on 2002-09-14 07:05:57 by stievie

Hey,

Did you not say that it was Open-Source ? If so, then can't you just fix the "bugs" your self ? I know you shouldn't have to do this, but at least then, you can customise the thing :)

Yes, but this project seems to be very big : it will take long to know all the relations in the source and its internal structure, and the big problem is that I don't have a recent Delphi version to recompile the thing... :)
Posted on 2002-09-15 09:52:22 by JCP

Yes, but this project seems to be very big : it will take long to know all the relations in the source and its internal structure, and the big problem is that I don't have a recent Delphi version to recompile the thing... :)

Readiosys, Delphi 6 Personal edition is free for personal use.

http://borland.com/products/downloads/download_delphi.html
Posted on 2002-09-15 11:31:51 by Delight
Thanks, I didn't know that ! :)

It has been some time I didn't interest myself to Borland's technologies. :)
It is a good initiative they have to provide the compiler freely for personal use...
I hope it is not a limited version like the free VB "Education" one. :)
Posted on 2002-09-15 15:59:02 by JCP
The compiler has no limits, but the IDE has some, eg. no Codebrowser. Also the Database stuff is missing, and you don't get the source of the VCL. Nothing important, the only important thing is the license, it is only for personal use, but doesn't have a Nagscreen, like VC++6 Authors version, and maybe the filesize ;-).

Stefan
Posted on 2002-09-16 16:41:16 by stievie