Hi.

Is it possible to editor, compile, and debug assembly code and programs directly in Visual Studio .NET? I am using a command promp to access the source code via the "edit source.asm" command. I use MASM 6.15.

The primary reason I would like to use Visual Studio .NET is convenience. Furthermore, I need a way to debug the code.

I found an interesting website that has a tutorial on how to programming ASM in Visual Studio .NET. However, I do not have some of the required files.

http://www.nuvisionmiami.com/books/asm/ide/index.htm

Thanks,
Kuphryn
Posted on 2002-09-18 20:49:56 by kuphryn

I found an interesting website that has a tutorial on how to programming ASM in Visual Studio .NET. However, I do not have some of the required files.

http://www.nuvisionmiami.com/books/asm/ide/index.htm
Which files?

MASM is also at:
%VSCOMNTOOLS%..\..\vc7\bin\

%VSCOMNTOOLS% is set for all VS7 installs, iirc.

...or you could execute vsvars32.bat in the begining of the batch file, or better yet use a MAKEFILE. It would be nice to have more integrated control of asm files. I still have much to learn about VS7 before commenting more.
Posted on 2002-09-18 22:57:47 by bitRAKE
Hey, I just happen to use the NET (VC7) IDE with MASM.

Make a new empty win32 project.

Make some text files or something (rename to *.asm, or *.inc)

Add them to your project ie:

MyProgram
Source Files
main.asm
Header Files
variable.inc

Then right click on your asm file and add a path and flags to ml under "Custom Build Step":

\masm32\bin\ml.exe /nologo /coff /Zd /Zi /Zf /c c:\code\myprogram\main.asm

In the project properties, make sure Linker->Debug->Generrate Debug info = YES

You should be able to set breakpoints.

When assembling, some changes require that the obj file be recrated. So if you get a build error with F5 or F7, rebuild all. After awhile you'll get a feel when it needs to be done.
Posted on 2002-09-19 04:02:53 by ThoughtCriminal
Okay. Thanks.

I wanted to run 16-bit ASM in Visual Studio .NET because I need to use its debugger, especially the breakpoint feature. It has another benefit of running in Windows and thus the interface is simpler and easier to manage code.

I finally got CodeView 4.1 working correctly yesterday. It has a lot of features. I will try to use it first unless Visual Studio .NET debugger has features that is easier to apply to ASM than CodeView, especially breakpoints and watch feature.

Kuphryn
Posted on 2002-09-19 09:38:10 by kuphryn