Posted on 2002-09-21 14:39:12 by Thomas
works on win98se ... very nice !
betatesting now ... reports later ;)

good work, keep it coming,
TBD

ps. if you need any help
write me
Posted on 2002-09-22 02:00:12 by TBD
I create Dreamer for Win98SE , and in it it works perfectly! It really does not run in Win2000, nor in Win NT. In the next version I will try to make it compatible with Win2k.
I _will_ continue work on it, but now I need the tools (new IDE and SDK). Today I am making them, till several hours the IDE will be ready, the SDK is done now.
About receiving help: I might need some, but I will refrain. I have to refrain. See, this project is for my CV, as I really have to find a job. But here, in Bulgaria, I saw it is not possible for me, though I have a lot of knowledge in most things related to computers. Every software company here makes only hotel software, on VB... great !
I might give to some dedicated people the SDK, but not sure now.
The IDE will soon be uploaded, it is for writing ASM, of course, but with a little feature- you can minimize/restore some parts of the source just as in an XML document, without losing it.
Posted on 2002-09-22 09:29:04 by Ultrano
Hi,

I am running Windows XP Pro here, and your Synthesizer runs just fine.
From time to time there are some noises during playback, but no crashes at all.

Greets YaWNS
Posted on 2002-09-22 10:07:24 by YaWNS
Hello again. I've made the most important parts of XASM - the IDE I was previously talking about. The XML-style editing is present, only the functions to ShellExecute, which execute the batch files for compiling, are not ok. And the menu, listing the source files in the project is not created. But you can load projects, with their files, and edit the first page (the first source file), with the X-style. I think you'll like it, I definitely do love it. I am tomorrow at school, and don't know when i'll have the time to continue it.
A temporary tip: do not place one tag into another, will confuse the prog.

* please do move this post in the appropriate place if needed, I post it here coz I'm known in this thread. thanks
Posted on 2002-09-22 15:47:18 by Ultrano
Hi, either your file is corrupted or another file extension is needed.
Winrar 2.91 claims "Unexpected end of file"

Greets YaWNS
Posted on 2002-09-22 15:55:14 by YaWNS
Sorry, while I was uploading the file, the electricity went off. I've been waiting 2 hours for it, here's the file
Posted on 2002-09-22 16:53:43 by Ultrano
Just to give some info, there's a bug in the ToggleElement proc, and you cannot close 2 elements at the time, the problem is I've forgotten a few lines, will add them later. So, if you have several elements and wonder why the heck they do not toggle, this is the reason. And a little lame tip: the demo project is in the subfolder "test", and is "test.xasm". With "Open With..." you should reference it to the xasm.exe . The project "do not open.xasm" is empty, but is good to be there, coz when starting xasm with no arguments, and in its folder there is no project file, when calling GetOpenFileName, the folder shown will be "my documents", which nags me much, sure will nag you, too. I make xasm with a similar IDE, also made by me, do not wonder why are the files "funcs", "gui" and "start". Format of the .xasm file:

NAME_OF_PROJECT (string) -> when compiling, the output file will be NAME_OF_PROJECT.exe
NUM_OF_SOURCES (integer)-> 1-based number of source files
unused (for compatibility with my old ide.
Project_description (string) -> will modify the window title
source_file1 (string)
source_file2
source_file3
.... (more sources)
Posted on 2002-09-23 01:45:28 by Ultrano
just a reminder ... if you dont want to get in trouble
with properllerheads i suggest to redesign/remake
graphics of Dreamer. even if it is a freeware product.

a tracker for
coders ... it sounds *very* good but it is hard to make
a song in it ;) ... CPU intensive

cya
TBD
Posted on 2002-09-23 03:15:50 by TBD
wow i like it very much. since dos was over i never done audio processing
anymore. i remeber you could simply write and read to the ports of the sound
card to generate effects and tones, back then i wrote a program similar to
the good old hsc tracker... may i ask a question, how's this stuff done today?
directX? and another thing... would it be hard to implement realtime effects?
something like a guitar pre-effect processor for the pc... i tried out up to 10
programs like guitarFX-box for example and i liked it but the lack of adding
background drums or sounds to it, maked it useless for me. but anyway,
plain recording from the input line of the soundcard would make it a very (very)
usefull program for me...

pretty nice :alright:
Posted on 2002-09-23 06:07:25 by mob
Looks really nice! But doesn?t work on my Win2000 computer
Posted on 2002-09-23 13:50:35 by ante
Here is a very good version of XASM. Has only one bug, that you still cannot browse through all the source files of the project, but source file#1 is at least able to be shown and saved and encoded/decoded. The X-tech is fully functional, and there's stg new- each X-element can have its own child element.

About Dreamer :
Q:how is it made? A: Using DirectSound. It was initially made using WMME, but it worked only on my soundcard properly. In the framework of DR, the instruments you've put send each other messages, discuss what the tempo is, and which instrument what inputs and outputs has, and if an instrument has finished making a sound, and it is linked, it sends to its output instrument information to which input jack it is connected, and gives the rendered data for further processing. Thus, you can have effects in DR, I was going to make some, but school started, and I've had no time. And I think it is more proper for me to focus on the next release, where the framework is like Windows compared to DOS1. I've made out most things I need to know in order to create the framework and instruments, I need the time. DR 0.5 will have extensive MIDI input and output abilities, and a sequencer like Reason's. My destiny is to create a software studio with more abilities than Reason ( the pros of DR are Pattern mode, dynamic linking, and the ability to have plugins ).

I have already contacted Dan Engelbrecht and the manager at propellerheads, for the legal stuff, and I have promised them I will not use any images of their in the next release. They agreed. Good, but now I have to make everything on my own. I've got an internet friend who will help me with the textures, but nobody else.

Here's XASM 0.2 :
Posted on 2002-09-23 14:05:16 by Ultrano
That is so cool, it sound so close to those SID chips and FM synthesizers and if u look at my sig you'll realize that I love FM synthesizers :D Oh ya and the same thing happens to me too I cannot play any of the songs I so anxiously wanna hear!!
Posted on 2002-09-26 17:25:11 by x86asm
I am very sorry DR cannot work on win2k :( I think it is because I've included some procs outside of .code . I supply here the DR0110.exe , without the message "win wants me out", so you can tell me where the error is . If you have a debugger installed, please supply several lines of code before and after the error position, apart from the offset, module name, and eax.
thanks.
p.s. how did you hear DR without hearing it :) ? DR has export functions, try them.
Posted on 2002-09-26 22:23:59 by Ultrano
I think it crashes inside DispatchMessage, maybe you forgot to preserve registers edi/esi/ebx in WndProc?
As for code outside the code section, it should work but the section has to be marked executable...

Thomas
Posted on 2002-09-27 01:34:29 by Thomas
There was some demos on your site :D They sound so cool, like the SID :D
Posted on 2002-09-27 07:18:36 by x86asm
The error seems to happen in my USER32 module. Anyway I used OllyDBG and it says that your program tried to access (or USER32) 000003E9h memory address. Access Violation

PUSH DWORD PTR DS:[EDI+C]
PUSH DWORD PTR DS:[ESI]
PUSH DWORD PTR DS:[EDI+4]
PUSH DWORD PTR DS:[EDI]
PUSH EAX
CALL USER32.77E13E98
77E1401A 8BC8 MOV ECX,EAX
77E1401C A1 6091E677 MOV EAX,DWORD PTR DS:[77E69160]
77E14021 F640 02 04 TEST BYTE PTR DS:[EAX+2],4
77E14025 0F85 85C80200 JNZ USER32.77E408B0
77E1402B 8B45 DC MOV EAX,DWORD PTR SS:[EBP-24]
77E1402E 8906 MOV DWORD PTR DS:[ESI],EAX <--Line with error
77E14030 8BC1 MOV EAX,ECX
77E14032 8B4D F0 MOV ECX,DWORD PTR SS:[EBP-10]
77E14035 64:890D 00000000 MOV DWORD PTR FS:[0],ECX
77E1403C 5F POP EDI

thats what my debugger said
Posted on 2002-09-27 07:25:43 by x86asm
Posted on 2002-09-27 07:49:00 by bazik
For a crash in the windows api (eg user32.dll), I usually take it as a corrupted pointer somewhere along the code. That's what I have learnt. Or maybe esi,edi,edx not preserved.
Posted on 2002-09-27 09:42:52 by roticv