Ok, I'm really stuck now. Of course I could just delete the entire proc that I was working on, but I was hoping that maybe somebody had some ideas?

Things that suck:
- VKim's debug macros seem unable to print a specific one-letter string that ebx points to. Then I get TWO GPF's instead of one.
- The crash point is in a GlobalAlloc call. I call it like this: invoke GlobalAlloc,GMEM_ZEROINIT or GMEM_FIXED,255.
- While debugging in OllyDbg I no longer get a GPF, but instead I get a "INT3 command in ntdll.DbgBreakPoint". Yay. That's really helpful.

Can anyone think of a situation that is even remotely possible that would cause something like this!?
Posted on 2002-09-28 09:41:43 by Qweerdy
I've gotten those before. I can't remember what caused it. It was something stupid like a missing ; in a perl script. You'll have to post your source (and exe) for any help.

The int 3 breakpoint is a debug feature for NT. You can continue stepping w/ F8 to get back to your app.
ps. GTP is a short cut for GFIXED || ZEROINIT
Posted on 2002-09-28 17:28:42 by eet_1024
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. I was writing a routine to load a btmap and convert the colors to the correct color depth. The thing is the routine performed ok but in another routine when I called globalalloc in exactly the same way you are doing I kept get access violations. It turns out a pointer in the bitmaploading routine had strayed.

I found that changing

invoke GlobalAlloc,GMEM_ZEROINIT or GMEM_FIXED,255
to
invoke GlobalAlloc,GMEM_ZEROINIT or GMEM_MOVEABLE,255
invoke GlobalLock,eax

solved the problem with gloalalloc but then each time the mouse went passed over the window of the program I was working on it casused a GPF.

It wasn't until I'd found the errant pointer(as stated above) that the problem was truely resolved
it took me a couple of days to find!
Posted on 2002-09-29 05:30:25 by MArtial_Code
Well ok... thanks everyone. I guess I'll fix it sooner or later. It's just that it's really frustrating when something gets broken for no apparent reason.
Posted on 2002-09-29 08:05:05 by Qweerdy
Qweerdy, could you show me code where you tried to use debug macros?
Posted on 2002-09-29 20:45:54 by vkim