You need also the Workbench, which is the OS (the ROM contains only libraries of routines). :)
Posted on 2002-10-16 05:05:59 by Maverick

I can't judge TextPad as you configured it because I haven't tested it

maybe you should... i tried hardly to get this asmone thing to work but i gave up
because i don't think it will be better suited for me than a nice editor with compiling
and linking abilities and a nice applicationlevel debuger like ollydebug. those all-in-one
rad ide progs simply piss me off... and the worst thing of all: project files... ughhh.

until now i wasn't able to find the right "kickstart" and a "workbench" but i will try
it again so i can see what you meant.
Posted on 2002-10-16 06:05:21 by mob
Hi all,
For those interested into testing Asm-One, I've prepared a stand-alone floppy (so you won't need the Workbench, but you still need a 2.x or 3.x ROM anyway, and the emulator).

Given the WinUAE 0.8.22.1 and the ROM file, this floppy is all you need to test Asm-One (besides some 68K knowledge).

Also, I've included a configuration file (which will probably++ work only on WinUAE v0.8.22.1).
Probably you'll have to fix the paths for the ROM and the floppy, since it doesn't let me specify a relative path.

It will take about 20 seconds to boot (it's a floppy).

BTW: do you have familiarity with the 68K assembly, or you want
me to write a small test source for the integrated debugger?
Posted on 2002-10-16 08:40:21 by Maverick
Hi mob,
If my last post wasn't enough of help, please do not hesitate to ask me further info/help.
Posted on 2002-10-16 08:41:28 by Maverick
Two more suggestions:

I would like to quote, single and/or double, parameters on the command line. Ollydbg seems to remove those. I'm however able to supply quoted strings to my program by using Debug->Arguments.

Also, can you include a 36" monitor with the release of 1.08 :grin: I don't have enough screen space.
Posted on 2002-10-17 00:26:14 by eet_1024
eet is right: I noticed that sometimes the behvavior of my programs inside of the debugger was not the same than running without it: quite annoying at times to debug efficiently programs. :tongue:

PS: One things I don't like with TextPad is that the output window is in fact very similar to a document one and can't be docked... or did I missed a feature ?

Personnally, I think syn ( http://syn.sourceforge.net ) is a fine and flexible IDE... the project files handling is very good (you can specify your own settings for this project only, like prefefined tools, etc).
The bad thing is that the syntax highlighting is a bit buggy and not flexible enough (you can't add your own langages unless to recompile the component), but these problems are from the editing component syn uses and not bugs of the program itself...
Posted on 2002-10-17 00:56:36 by JCP
eet_1024: here is an OllyDbg plugin for importing data from .map files
it is a quick hack but does the job, also the first plugin (almost one year old) for OllyDbg

"" problem added to wishlist, thanks.

i post the question before, no one wants to make a plugin for viewing resource (bitmaps,
cursors, dialogs, ...) ? Thomas started but now he is busy with other things.

enjoy
Posted on 2002-10-17 01:26:05 by TBD
An excerpt of a mail I exchanged with a dude here:

>it works with the computer at home ... cool. but as i dont know
>68k assembly i didnt go to far :) ... can you send me a small example
>that i can type. also what can i do with it (tips, usefull commands).

When the program start, it will ask for what kind of memory to allocate.
Just press Enter to accept the default.
Then it will ask you how much space to allocate. Enter your choice..
depending on how much free memory your emulated Amiga has. This memory
is the workspace for assembling and testing code with the program, so
you should avoid things like "1 KB".

Now you're into Asm-One, finally, i.e. in its command line.

Pressing ESC will bring you to the Editor. Pressing ESC again to the
Asm-One command line, and so on.

Assuming you're into the editor, enter this simple proggy:

TestProgram: ; this label is necessary because we'll use local labels afterwards
MOVE.L #5,D0
.outer_loop: MOVE.L #3,D1
.inner_loop: SUBQ.L #1,D1
NOP ; just to play with the source level debugger
NOP
NOP
BNE .inner_loop
SUBQ.L #1,D0
BNE .outer_loop
RTS ; quit proggy

Now press ESC again to reach the command line.

You can do a lot of things.. commands can be typed or can be reached by menu (those text reports also the corresponding typed command).
For now, try this:

a

This will assemble the source above.

j

This will execute it.

Instead of the two commands above, try:

ad

which will assemble and enter the source level debugger.
Press Cursor Down to execute the highlighted instruction.

Explore the menus.. there are a lot of possibilities.

Argh.. I noticed that Asm-One's debugger crashes under WinUAE. :(

You may get a very rough idea anyway during the first 2 steps that precede the crash. ;(
Posted on 2002-10-17 08:32:25 by Maverick
Maverick, AsmPro on the Atari ST had many great features, too. It is like if DEBUG was built into the assembler - you could code and test any line when you want - back and forth to debugger from the editor was no problem. It is sad these ideas never developed on x86 - there could be so much more for the coder.
Posted on 2002-10-17 21:13:39 by bitRAKE
Ricky, AsmPro is just considered the "less featured brother" of AsmOne, on the Amiga. ;)
I didn't know it came from the ST, I thought it was inspired by AsmOne (or maybe AsmPro, being (at least on Amy) a younger product than AsmOne, reached the ST from the Amiga and was inspired by AsmOne as I thought before?). I only know AsmOne is very old in its first incarnation, and was someway inspired by the Seka assembler (the first assembler on the Amiga.. a true hacker's tool :) ).

I can send AsmPro as well if anybody wants it.. maybe it even works with the emulator this time. :)

BTW: cool you had an ST? Did you ever code anything (e.g. demo effects) on it? What about the Falcon?
Posted on 2002-10-18 03:43:18 by Maverick
I verifyed it, and:

1) Asm-Pro is fully compatible with WinUAE. :-)
2) It's very similar to Asm-One, and is still valid for the point I was trying to make to TBD.
3) It can be downloaded from http://jove.prohosting.com/~peoyli/peo/computing/amiga/assembler/ASMPROV116I.LHA

If there's at least one request, I will produce and upload here a test floppy with Asm-Pro.

Ricky: as far as I know after some verify, Asm-Pro has been inspired from Asm-One, and then ported to the ST.

I fully agree with you: a porting of Asm-One/Asm-Pro on the x86 would be the THE assembler. Thomasz? :alright:
Posted on 2002-10-18 04:20:49 by Maverick
Here are some screenshots of Asm-Pro (for what they're worth).

http://home-1.tiscali.nl/~solognt/asmpro/screenshots.html
Posted on 2002-10-18 04:27:56 by Maverick
Hi all,

This is my ASM-Pro floppy. You need WinUAE 0.8.22.1 and a Kickstart ROM (2.x or 3.x) to run it. If you need URL's for WinUAE just ask.
The floppy is self-booting, no need for Workbench.

A new configuration file for WinUAE 0.8.22.1 is included. You will have to edit the ROM and floppy paths.

Now some remarks:

After 20 secs or so of startup-sequence, ASM-Pro will start.

Choose OK for the first window (valid defaults are already set).

You will now be at ASM-Pro's command prompt. Enter this command:

r

Now a file requester will appear. Select the Test.S source (double click, or click and press OK).

Press ESC to enter the editor. Take a look, then press ESC again to return to the command line.

Enter the command ad to start the debugger. It will look like the editor again (because it's a source level debugger), press the cursor down key to execute each instruction, and check the registers window, etc.. (there are a lot of commands available in the menu).

bitRAKE: can you test it? Is it the same ASM-Pro you used on the Atari ST? What was the first year you saw it? It shouldn't be before 1995 (when ASM-Pro appeared on the Amiga.. after many years of ASM-One and clones (e.g. Trash'M One) existance).
Posted on 2002-10-18 06:33:12 by Maverick

bitRAKE: can you test it? Is it the same ASM-Pro you used on the Atari ST? What was the first year you saw it? It shouldn't be before 1995 (when ASM-Pro appeared on the Amiga.. after many years of ASM-One and clones (e.g. Trash'M One) existance).
That information has to be wrong - I was programming in ASM-Pro in 1990. Also used the Werks resource editor. I knew TOS/GEM/GDI/VDI like the back of my hand. ;) I wrote a full platform and sprite engine for a game in ASM-Pro - it was stolen from me by my 'friend' - he was doing the artwork. I did not pursue the matter because the ST market was in the trash by 1993 anyway - at least the US market was. Also used Personal Pascal, GFA BASIC, Degas Paint, Cyber Paint, Cyber Studio by Tom Hudson (who later went on to start 3D Studio!), and so many others...the Amiga was great, but many great programmers got started on the ST - it was much cheaper here in the states. :) Funny, I still have my VDI programming book after all these years, but everything else is lost - I have moved on. I have a special place in my heart for ST programming - always will. Also, programmed on the 8-bits: Atari 800XL, 130XE, etc...
Posted on 2002-10-24 21:37:21 by bitRAKE
Hi Ricky :)
Do you have some screenshots of ASM-Pro for ST somewhere, so I can see if it's the same program? Maybe it's not, and it's just that in the time of real computers (which includes almost everything but the PC :grin: ) it was usual and normal to make integrated assemblers/source_level_debuggers/monitors/etc.. (in fact it was).

The custom chips of the 800XL and of other Atari computers were designed by the great Jay Miner, the father of the Amiga architecture. :)

May he rest in peace.
Posted on 2002-10-25 03:13:33 by Maverick
This thread is way off topic.

The question is whether Ollydbg needs its help re-written, not about adding features, or about some other products features. How rude...
Posted on 2002-10-26 11:06:21 by SFinegan
Formally true.. but a certain amount of off-topic is natural in any discussion, expecially those that tend to expire by themselves.
Hope we didn't waste too much of your precious time.
Posted on 2002-10-26 16:25:02 by Maverick