I've always used SoftICE (v4.05) for run-time debugging, but it requires me to turn off read-only memory protection in order to install it in Win2k. I don't want to compromise my system stability so I'm not willing to do that, especially since it doesn't give me more specific information.

So looking for alternatives, I found WinDbg and OllyDbg. Both are pretty good, and have Windows GUI interfaces. The problem is when they break when a full-screen (DirectX) game is active, the game freezes (as it should) but you cannot go back to Windows without killing the debugger's process.

My searches for information on this topic so far have been unsuccessful, so I came here to ask if anyone knows a good solution. I would really appreciate any information that any of you may have.

Thanks,
-Malakar
Posted on 2002-10-19 07:12:26 by Malakar
There is only 2 solutions.

Dual monitor setup, or remote debug on a different computer.
Posted on 2002-10-19 07:54:42 by ThoughtCriminal
heres' how I do it...
I use RadAsm with vkims debug macros customised to RadAsm. I then embed the calls to the macros at points
where I think the trouble is and compile/run the dx app. when it's finished I get all the printout from the app in Radasm's output window.

using this method you should be able to track down most any bug...

I've said it a milllions times before and I'll say it again..RadASM and Vkim's dbug macros make a killer setup!
Posted on 2002-10-19 16:52:42 by MArtial_Code
I am interested how to do a dual monitor setup, without using a mono board :)
Posted on 2002-10-20 07:17:25 by BogdanOntanu
Well, use a mobo with built-in gfx-card, and install an extra gfx-card and let M$ Wndow$ start. You will have two monitors wheter you want it or not.
Every time I uppdate the gfx-card drivers I have to go to VGA mode and do a lot of magic before windows only uses the add-on gfx-card...
Posted on 2002-10-20 10:44:59 by scientica

Every time I uppdate the gfx-card drivers I have to go to VGA mode and do a lot of magic before windows only uses the add-on gfx-card...
You can't disable the on board video in the BIOS?
Posted on 2002-10-20 12:35:08 by bitRAKE
My BIOS says: "Primary Graphics Adapter: Add-on"
Windows (by default) says: You're using the on-board Posted on 2002-10-21 09:43:07 by scientica
The most efficient method is using SoftIce remote debugging setup on a lan.
Your lan can be just two computers if you like.
Once SoftIce is installed in the machine to be monitored, it provides an NT service called NTICE which serves a client-mode copy of SoftIce on your client machine, its really quite nice, I've tested ithe server under XP and monitored from XP and 98, and had no problems. I couldn't get softice 4.05 to work under xp, so I got the new one. Back in the saddle.
Posted on 2002-10-23 02:28:56 by Homer
Hmmm yeah but i do not own a copy of SoftIce
and the price is quite prohibitive for my income :(

so i need other more free solutions ...
we are using LAN and WinDbg curently...but...well :(
Posted on 2002-10-23 19:02:23 by BogdanOntanu
Visual C++ also supports remote debugging.
Posted on 2002-10-24 19:35:17 by dxantos
Thanks guys...

EvilHomer2k, does the new version of SoftICE not require you to turn off read-only protected memory to install it in Win2k/XP? I looked at the NuMega site, and I think it said you have to buy DevPartner with SoftICE, which together cost 1.6 to 2.2k$... That's a little steep for me, I think I'd rather just use another PC/partition or do remote debugging with v4.05...
Posted on 2002-10-27 23:17:31 by Malakar
I've never let copyright stand between me and my ambitions.
That being said, I did purchase a copy of softice...but I purchased it secondhand, from an intellectually challenged young man who found himself out of his depth.
Check out ebay for secondhand original copies of softice being offered by similar weenies.
Posted on 2002-10-28 23:20:02 by Homer
I didn't have to do that, no.
I failed to mention I'm running the numega softice driver development suite,
not the softice standalone.
It installed without a hitch.
Posted on 2002-10-28 23:24:28 by Homer