Has anyone ever experimented with an MDI frame window having more than one client window? Can it be done? Have you seen anything that used this technique?

Cheers :)
Posted on 2002-10-29 19:35:12 by sluggy
:confused: isn't this the default usage of an MDI frame window? Most MS programs do this, like WORD or EXCEL. I have an example too, so if you have some questions...
Posted on 2002-10-30 04:03:57 by beaster
isn't this the default usage of an MDI frame window? Most MS programs do this, like WORD or EXCEL. I have an example too, so if you have some questions...
I think you are confused :)
The frame window is the "master", and it contains the client window, and the client window contains the child MDI windows (like all your separate Word docs). In all the examples i have seen, there is a one to ine relationship between the frame window and the client. I have two client windows in my frame (both with MDI children), but i am having an uphill battle trying to do the things i want with the client windows, i think it is because when the frame window calls its default message processing you can only pass thru the handle of one client window, not both, therefore it is processing the messages for both windows and it thinks there is only one window.
Posted on 2002-10-30 04:20:35 by sluggy
Ahh yes, I can see where that might create a problem. I also think
that is whats happening.

Is it a requirement that frame windows have a caption bar? If not,
have a main window which contains two (borderless) windows and
each of those can be the Frame window for thier own MDI Clients
(much like a container window). I dont see why this route wouldnt
work offhand...
Posted on 2002-10-30 15:54:40 by Graebel
Graebel,
yep, i was thinking i would have to do that. That means an extra two WndProcs :/
Posted on 2002-10-31 04:35:25 by sluggy
that sounds really like "having an uphill battle" :)

the frame window is likely not made for having multiple client windows.
Posted on 2002-11-01 04:51:41 by beaster