allocating memory at a specific address if avalible?
is this possable?
basicly im looking for good dma.
Posted on 2002-10-30 16:55:29 by Qages
VirtualAllocEx
Posted on 2002-10-30 21:34:54 by huh
VirtualAllocEx isnt in my win.hlp, did you mean VirtualAlloc??
Posted on 2002-10-30 21:49:52 by Qages
It wouldn't think that VirtualAlloc would be present in Win32.hlp as that file is way outdated and its not a strictly Win32 function as its only supported on NT systems. But here is the link to the online SDK:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/memory/base/virtualallocex.asp
Posted on 2002-10-30 21:55:36 by huh
huh: do you mean VirtualAllocEx?
VirtualAllocEx(not available on 9x) allows remote memory allocation, while with VirtualAlloc you can only commit and/or reserve memory in your own address space.
Posted on 2002-10-31 02:41:56 by C.Z.
From MSDN:
LPVOID VirtualAlloc( LPVOID lpAddress, // address of region to reserve or commit
DWORD dwSize, // size of region
DWORD flAllocationType, // type of allocation
DWORD flProtect // type of access protection
);

Parameters:

lpAddress
Specifies the desired starting address of the region to allocate. If the memory is being reserved, the specified address is rounded down to the next 64-kilobyte boundary. If the memory is already reserved and is being committed, the address is rounded down to the next page boundary. To determine the size of a page on the host computer, use the GetSystemInfo function. If this parameter is NULL, the system determines where to allocate the region.

So VirtualAlloc should suffice.
Posted on 2002-10-31 03:01:13 by japheth
Whoops, I just remembered that VirtualAlloc(Ex) you could specify an address but when I looked through my SDK I missed the lpAddress param somehow in VirtualAlloc :rolleyes: I think I must of been a bit tired
:stupid:
Posted on 2002-10-31 20:58:19 by huh