I have an advice to the author of fasm:

when I use fasm, I found it very hard to find what mistake had taken place.
but it can not compile.
I advice to express the mistake more exactly.so the user can find the mistake more quickly.
Especially in the resource data section.

regard

liuguohua
Posted on 2002-11-05 04:51:50 by LiuGuoHua(Chinese)
The main reason of your problem is the complexity of Win32 programming macroinstructions. It is possible to make some special versions of those macroinstructions for error tracing purposes, with use of the "display" directive. Other solutions would be harder, because of the architectural problems - assembler operates on the parsed source, in which all words are replaced with unique IDs, and if assembler displayed you what ID caused an error, it would be unuseful for you, because there is no way (in the current fasm architecture) to get back the symbol name from the ID at assembly time.
Posted on 2002-11-05 12:25:16 by Tomasz Grysztar
Idea: Privalov, make fasm to write table to the file, and insert ID in the error message.

It's a good idea to write error messages to file too (the binary file with machine readable format, not text) and then "AsmWork" will read these files, and will process the error. It's not a good idea simply to capture console output.

It's possible to make all this as options, for example:

"fasm [-et] source.asm source.exe output.tbl output.err"

-e : create error file.
-t : create label table
Posted on 2002-11-08 10:16:55 by JohnFound
I think it is bad ideas.
The power of FASM is in its unique simpleness.
Posted on 2002-11-10 19:05:58 by myst
heh, I was going to reply the same too but was too busy. You can always redirect
the error output to a file for later parsing.

I had a slightly offtopic suggestion for fasm, the ability to output a filename automatically.
`fasm file.asm` could output file.com or file.exe depending on the file itself. This is
a very common assembler/compiler feature (not requiring the output name).

On Linux it'd output "file" from file.asm, on dos/windows it'd output either file.com or file.exe

The other idea is to set the output filename in the source itself:

; File name:
filename "file"

GNU as has a similar directive. Though, its use doesn't effect the output filename afaik.
This also could be combined with the above feature.

If given an output filename on the command line it could override the above.

Just ideas, I might have the time to add such features to fasm and send in
patches. I do have a busy workload though. (You all most likely do too)
Posted on 2002-11-12 23:41:06 by jwm
These ideas are more or less already featured in the new version of fasm (I mean the one for Win32 GUI, at development stage).
Posted on 2002-11-13 00:21:57 by Tomasz Grysztar