Hi,

As HE project is growing huge and we are giving it more time (to finish it faster) i was wondering if i can use any form of local CVS with ASM (MASM or TASM) on Windows(preffered) or eventually Linux based servers.

If anybody has any good tutorials or links about this issue i will appreciate it a lot ;)

Thank you
Bogdan Ontanu
Posted on 2002-11-06 15:11:14 by BogdanOntanu
CVS is up and running :)

It was NOT THAT complicated...

but i had to install TCL/Python arghhhhh,

i just wanted CVS and ended with additional components to my system... doh such is life

here is a good simple link to help others:
http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85831169/InstallCVSNT.html

Anyway now i have security worries... why are all this guys using TCP/IP? eh? if they had an option to use IPX or NETBEUI (non routable i mean) i whould have felt more secure :(
Posted on 2002-11-07 01:44:41 by BogdanOntanu

but i had to install TCL/Python arghhhhh,

hmm, what kind of front-end forces you to install TCL and Python?
Personally, I don't use any graphical front-end, but I found wincvs (saw it on sourceforge.net) promising, especially for VC oriented users. (It required Python for scripting, though. But, that was optional last time I checked.)

Anyway now i have security worries... why are all this guys using TCP/IP? eh? if they had an option to use IPX or NETBEUI (non routable i mean) i whould have felt more secure

What is wrong with tcp connection? You can always set up password-authenticating CVS server (or, if you don't worry about possible bugs in Kerberos, you can autheticate using Kerberos, too.) Or, you can tunnel CVS connection through ssh by setting CVS_RSH environment variable. My point is, if you are concerned about security, you can always tighten up. As a matter of fact, the security depends on the admin's diligence, not on some fancy protocol or gadget.

Anyway, if any member is command-line oriented (like me), here is another link for those people: http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/
Posted on 2002-11-07 04:35:35 by Starless
set your firewall anti-spoofing and make sure only people in a specific range can access it. That way you should be very secure. Do plan in advance if you insert or change and folders because it's a pain about it and has no official way (other then admin hack workarounds) to deal with such things.
Posted on 2002-11-07 05:29:51 by Hiroshimator