I'm making a trace program, this means that i trace an IP adress, i want to know how to do that in asm and i want to know how i can turn an IP into a DNS so that i can substract a coutry out of it so that i know where the ip comes from.

Isn't there a tut or does anybody has a example file ?

tnx in advance
Posted on 2002-11-13 06:00:31 by Bolle

i think it's fascinating, what newbies wanna do. you want to make a program, where i wouldn't know how to solve it in VC++, you are a newbie to a language and want to write it using that language. so you go to a board and ask for an example and you will either copy it, or make almost the same - not knowing what's up in this program
Posted on 2002-11-13 12:40:48 by hartyl
Stop reading my mind, hartyl :grin:
Posted on 2002-11-13 13:38:17 by bazik
I agree with the above two, however if your mind is set on it:

(This is a quote from MSDN)

getnameinfo
The getnameinfo function provides name resolution from an address to the host name.

So GetNameInfo does what you want. However:

Requirements
Windows NT/2000/XP: Included in Windows XP and Windows .NET Server.
Windows 95/98/Me: Unsupported.
Header: Declared in Ws2tcpip.h.

So unless you have NT/2000/XP you're going to have to find another way :)

PS: Welkom bij het forum, alweer een Nederlander erbij :)
Posted on 2002-11-13 14:02:24 by Qweerdy
Personally I agree with all of you! I share the same view that all of you have.
Most of the people who ask about things on this board. Don't research
before they ask.

They ask and demand a response from us(for free even( :eek: ). And some even
espect you to make the whole code for them. So that they can copy it, and tell
everyone of how proud they are for having the ability to create such thing's. :rolleyes:

However, I love replying to topics and create the code if I can. Or somettimes even
if I dont know anything about howto make the code. People can rip/off or steal my code
and call it theirs. Doesn't really matter if they take credit or not.

Because In the end, the person who made the code will be the one with knowledge
on howto use it, and make a newone! Anyday / Anytime.
-And he knows who really made it!-

Anyways, as you all pretty much know I love to learn something new. And I am not
afraid to fail, I just keep on going until i get it done. When I started to look at this
topic I thought: "Hmm Interesting, that code might become usefull someday. So let's
try to create it."

What you see in the attachment is the code I managed to make from scratch.
I have previously stated that I am a newbie when it comes to Assembly.
So please letme know of any improvements or errors you may find, so that I may
learn from my mistakes. The code works like a charm on my system.

Bolle, Hope you appreciate the work I have done for you! All I want in return is
a polite 'Thank You!' :eek:

->The ICMP .INC/.LIB can be downloaded from here: http://www.madwizard.org/

NOTE: Moderators? What happend here? none of you have moved this topic
to the 'Networking' section yet? :grin: -Wake up and smell the coffe! :alright:

EDIT: Well I squashed a few bug's I found, and added 'resolve host' function +it now looks
a little bit more fancy. (Eyecandy for you!)
Posted on 2002-11-14 01:04:40 by natas
Because In the end, the person who made the code will be the one with knowledge
on howto use it, and make a newone! Anyday / Anytime.
-And he knows who really made it!-

Knowledge-wise you are right, of course. However, the world is full of great creators (coders, painters, bussinessmen, etc) who are left with their knowledge that "they did it", while lamers (at least the clever ones) get the money, the expensive cars and the expensive women. If you have reached such a level of zen that you can live with just this knowledge, then... congratulations!

PS: By the way, whenever you have time, I would really appreciate if you could make for me something like Autocad in pure assembly, I just want it faster and if you could please transfer every right to me, thank you! :)
Posted on 2002-11-14 02:39:04 by micmic

PS: By the way, whenever you have time, I would really appreciate if you could make
for me something like Autocad in pure assembly, I just want it faster and if you could please
transfer every right to me, thank you! :)
Sure, Ill just sit right down and create such an apllication for you. Just gimme about
10-15 years and it will be done. And all the right's will be turned over to you free of charge.:grin:

Seriously, I know what you are talking about. But I would never make a whole application and post
it here. What if the code is so special it will take hours to recreate? The code we provide others
with on this forum, is code that can be optimized and changed over and over again. But the code
can only be rewritten/optimized by the one who understands the code.

ZEN:BABY:: What is Zen, but the freedom of knowing the knowledge you carry within.
Posted on 2002-11-14 10:20:31 by natas
Tnx for the replies

however, you all are mistaken
yes i want an example so i know how to make it BUT no i don't just plainly copy it.
Everything i did with programming wasn't copying it but learning from those examples. I can learn the best way from example code so that i can fully understand the code.

Further more, How the hell can i learn something if i don't have an example, I wonder how you have learned to make things that aren't in the Tuts...

And if you have so much trouble with helping others how want help on a forum through examples then don't help them.

So for all you out there who won't give an example code i have written in my original message that i also want a tut if it is available, the Tuts on this forum don't provide me the knowledge of that.

Isn't there a tut or does anybody has a example file ?

So don't bother me with those wrong accusation because i asked if there were tuts.
Is it so hard to read....

PS ja is leuk dat er nederlanders zijn ja :) trouwens mag ik jou mailen als ik vragen heb ofzo ? want hier doen ze zo moeilijk...
Posted on 2002-11-18 02:48:59 by Bolle
They ask and demand a response from us(for free even( ).

first of all i asked if someone could help me. I didn't demanded anything
second of all i find it very natural that on a help-forum people get help with questions. All i did was asking for a tut or an example code so that i could learn about it.
Posted on 2002-11-18 02:52:01 by Bolle
further more:

Natas Thank you very much :D
Posted on 2002-11-18 02:52:54 by Bolle
Bolle,
There is no need for you to become angry at the words I have written.
Some people started to comment that some people only want an example
to copy, without learning anything from it.

Therefore, I started to speak of something wich didnt refer to you in
specific. I was talking off-topic about the general beginner reasons
and actions for asking questions.

Since I do not know you or anything you stand for. I didnt put you or
anyone else for that matter in the 'center' of my discussion.

Hope you understand that the the words I stated were somewhat
sarcastic and about the general beginner on this forum.

Specific about you,
I know that you didnt demand a response with an example/tutorial.
But some of the users do actually 'demand' it. For example: If they see
that people have read there post, they start asking why noone have
replied tp there question yet. To me this is really lame, some people
need to learn the basics of patience.

And im glad to see that you say you will infact 'read' and learn from the
examples written for your question's. This alone put's you on my little
'list'.( ;) )

Well I guess that just about sums up the state of my mind. Hopefully
you have now learned that im a person who loves to help others and
will gladly help them on their way if i can.

End Note, If there is still something I havent clarified, then just lettme know? :alright:
Posted on 2002-11-18 10:47:53 by natas
I wasn't angry. sorry bout bringing that impression, I only defenced myself ( i sometimes get a little carried away :( )

I know you all find that very irritating and i can see why, you're only here to help not to serve people. :)

But anyway tnx for you code i will study it.

By the Way i'm a computer-student ( don't know the exact word in english ) so i want to extend (?) my horizon to know more :) always eager to learn :)

once again sorry for me being a bully
Posted on 2002-11-19 02:58:55 by Bolle
I agree with Bolle that a few samples for beginners would be very usefull.
Sure, its common there is no docu, that's probably the best game for cracks, but the few samples one can find on the net, are too complicated cause a crack only seems to post a sample when he is proud of his beautiful coding.

Newbie's needs plain & simple 'hello world's'. ;) These are hard to find.
Posted on 2002-11-19 06:23:39 by davidsimple
Sample code is actually in alot of diffrent places. But you can find alot
of samples in the thread i point to below my nickname(ASM:Web-link Collection). :alright:
Posted on 2002-11-19 08:45:50 by natas