On the lastest downloads, I noticed that there was a distintion between the dos/console version and the GUI version.

On the older releases, were'nt these all in the same package?

Do you actually need one assember for console and another for win32 GUI?

I thought you just specified GUI or not GUI on the format statement line.

Please clarify.
Posted on 2002-11-14 17:41:08 by msmith
Well, the two windows versions of FASM are "same but different".

You see the dos/console is "just" ( :grin: ) the compiler, you compile files via using either a console or a link of somekind.
The GUI version is the compiler and Asssembler Workspace intergrated, so you can code a file and then simply press Ctrl+F9 (or choose the menu option) to compile and then press F9 (or choose the menu option) to run the compiled file (an exe when you work with PE, GUI or console).

I have compiled both PE GUI and PE console exes in the GUI version of FASM (and the console/DOS version) with no problem (except from my typos :) ).

Which one you choose is a matter of personal tase, I begin to prefer the GUI version since you don't need an console window to compile your pice of code, and then run it.

So to simply answer you question, you can use either one of them to compile both GUI and console exes. it's controlled as you say by a line in the source file (eg "PE GUI 4.0" or "PE console 4.0"). :)
Posted on 2002-11-14 23:33:01 by scientica
To be more precise: every version of fasm has the same core (which consist of four modules: preprocessor, parser, assembler, and formatter), and therefore (because formatter is common) each kind of output that fasm can produce is supported by each fasm version. So you can compile Win32 GUI version with Linux or DOS version and vice versa.
Posted on 2002-11-15 03:46:08 by Tomasz Grysztar