Hi Ketilo,
You have made a really nice ide there. A few ideas from my side-
1. How about adding dynamic parsing to the editor like visual studio. What i mean is right now when a person adds a function he has to click the refersh button to update the list of function/structures.
To update this dynamically, just run your asm parser after a specific interval, say 3 secs or so on the files which have changed.
Now of course if you run the parser on the whole file at a time, and a file is a bit big or if the parser is a bit slow, the user is going to notice the wait, cause you will have to lock the whole editor for that moment from being edited while you are parsing.
So instead, you parse the file line by line. This way you get the text of the first line, parse it and then get the text of the second line and so on. This way the user wont notice that the file is being parsed in the background. If the user is typing on the line which you are going to get, lock it and then get the text and unlock it back. the delay would be so short the user wont even notice it.

This way you can easily add dynamic updates to your ide.

2. You must have seen the dynamic help feature in vs.net where if you place your cursor on a word and all the links to the appropriate help pages appear. Well i have a suggestion to go one step higher than that. Instead of just providing the link to the page, you straightaway open the page in a dynamic help window which can be docked to the side.
Now probably his wont be possible with the api ref help file, so you will have to copy all the data from the help file to your file format from which you can easily(and quickly) look for the required data. xml might be a choice for it.
Copying all the data from the help file may be a huge task but probably we people on the forum can help you with that.
But you hash algo will have to be (very) quick so that as one puts his cursor on an api, the appropriate documentation is displayed.

So tell me what you think about it :)
Posted on 2002-11-22 11:58:10 by clippy
strange it seems to receive no reply.
Posted on 2002-11-26 16:09:06 by clippy
Hi gladiator

Sorry for the delay.

What you are asking is a very good idea, but the project is large and I am not up to it right now.

KetilO
Posted on 2002-11-27 06:01:52 by KetilO
Hi ketilo,
nice to see you respond :)
I would love to help with your project if possible,
How about putting a plugin interface to the ide in your free time, so that lots of people can help in adding functionality to it.
Posted on 2002-11-27 06:27:16 by clippy
Hi gladiator

There already is a plugin interface (addins), and a lot of people have created nice addins for RadASM.

KetilO
Posted on 2002-11-27 07:01:41 by KetilO
ketilo,
i did find some addins in the package but i just dont seem to find any documentation for it. Can you please tell me where it is?

I have a question about a radAsm functionality.
When i say type 'mov wc.' in the editor, a box pops up showing the members of the WNDCLASSEX structure.
Now to do that, is it that you parse the file right from the top to the cursor position to check the kind of variable?
If so, wont it slow down quite a bit if the file is too big?

Or do u use a different technique? It seems like a mystery to me. How do you do it?
Posted on 2002-11-28 05:46:17 by clippy
Hi gladiator

Addins are documented in FlipCase addin and in radasm.inc

RadASM has a very fast memory search. This allows me to find and parse things in the most stupid ways.

KetilO
Posted on 2002-11-28 07:53:39 by KetilO