what is the best choice, thinking about performans an size of the end file?
Posted on 2002-12-03 12:56:27 by DrBios
I'd say the exe is smaller if windows are created on the fly. But then again, you could just stuff a hell of a lot of resources in the exe and just pack the exe.
Posted on 2002-12-03 13:13:26 by JimmyClif
I wonder when you notice that I moved your last 3 or 4 posts because they were done in the wrong forum...
Posted on 2002-12-03 13:15:38 by bazik
why in a wrong forum?
Posted on 2002-12-03 13:17:51 by DrBios

why in a wrong forum?

MASM32
Everything concerning hutch's MASM32 package. The compiler, NOT programming.

(please notice the "NOT programming")

Main
Post any win32Asm related question here that doesn't fit in any of the other forums.
Posted on 2002-12-03 13:21:18 by bazik
ok i am Guilty...sorry ...i never gonna do this again
it's a promise
Posted on 2002-12-03 13:25:59 by DrBios

ok i am Guilty...sorry ...i never gonna do this again
it's a promise

I watch you :grin:

Edit: 2k posts! Wooohoooo!
Posted on 2002-12-03 13:36:42 by bazik
hahaha...no probleblem and sorry again ....

BTW:where u from ...?... any 1 in this forum talks spanish....?
i feel so lonely .... any 1 than i know, understand my interesting on assembler...
specialy when i hit my head agains the keyboard
:confused:
Posted on 2002-12-03 13:44:47 by DrBios
IMO, resources are a bit too HLL (for me), I prefer to create the entire window and it's controll using CreateWindowEx, I get the controll I need. But dialogs can be a quick way to get a basic window scelleton (with a few editboxes and buttons), but I think the exe getts larger when I uses dialogs (haven't doen any test-app to check it).

JimmyClif, but packing the exes would affect the speed (at start of application by a few clock cycles) and the size unpacked in the memory... :tongue: (I'm just beein silly, I'm bored bored... :) )
Posted on 2002-12-03 14:18:07 by scientica
I don't like Dialogs... They are great for limited user input, but in general I think Dialogs are a pain to design and maintain... but that's just me :tongue:
Posted on 2002-12-03 14:36:30 by JimmyClif

but that's just me :tongue:

db 90h, not just you...
(since I do the most asm coding w/ FASM I've stripped the dialogs and made lots of CreateWindowEx... under stood. :rolleyes: )
Posted on 2002-12-03 14:48:23 by scientica
If you put at least one resource item (e.g., a custom icon for your program and caption bar), you may have a smaller file if you store dialog boxes as resources.

If a dialog contains many standard controls, then storing the window as a dialog box in the resource section will probably save space. Otherwise, you are better off building a custom window.

Pros:

A modal dialog box as a main window means you can eliminate the message loop. Keyboard navigation (TAB of focus) is automatically included.

A dialog box eliminates coding of the CreateWindowEx calls (invokes) which can be significant in a well-populated dialog style window. If you create a CreateWindowEx loop to create all your controls, you are effectively duplicating the dialog box logic.

Cons:

Some keys (e.g., TAB and ENTER) are intercepted and processed before your dialog proc gets executed.

If a modal dialog box is used as a main window, adding a properly working modeless dialog (e.g., Find and Replace dialog) is difficult (if it's possible).
Posted on 2002-12-03 15:39:28 by tenkey
Resource can be extremely useful when you have many controls (Example,editbox, checkbuttons, radiobuttons,etc) and you do not want to hardcode all of them using the api CreateWindowEx. In such cases resources would be better as they will take up less space(you do not need to keep calling CreateWindowEx).

On the other hand if there is little controls needed, just use CreateWindowEx.
Posted on 2002-12-03 21:09:07 by roticv
and dialogs are not pixel based...
They looks fine on PC with 125% fonts and all resolutions...

At least in my programs...
Posted on 2002-12-04 01:14:31 by JCP

They looks fine on PC with 125% fonts [...]

I dont really care how my programms look for hutch :grin:
Posted on 2002-12-04 01:30:44 by bazik
I've anoticed that dialog resrources uses an unit that's not pixels (the windows gets too small when hust copying the dialog size to a CreateWindowEx-solution... (does any body know what the dialog box units name is, and how many pixels per such unit?)
Posted on 2002-12-04 02:17:26 by scientica
Posted on 2002-12-04 02:31:36 by roticv