In MASM 6.14, is there any way to exclude the symbol table from the list files that are produced by ml.exe when it is given the /Fl switch? It doesn't even help to use the .nolist directive for the entire file (the symbol table is still written, but nothing else). :( My problem is that I always get a huge (>1 MB) symbol table at the end of my listings (primarily from the user32/kernel32/gdi32 libraries), and this is very inconvenient, and also adds an extra pause during assembly when dumping all that data to the disk. All I want is to see the code listing, nothing more. :( Any ideas how to solve this?

Also, is there any way to prevent the hex-opcodes for all assembled instructions to be printed out in the list?

I have looked at all the directives under the "listing control" section in the MASM reference, but none of them seem to help. :(

Any tips would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Posted on 2002-12-05 17:03:40 by dELTA
Ok, I found a command-line switch to ml.exe that removed the symbol table from the listing (/Sn). It's a bit confusing sometimes when source code directives and compiler switches can do the same thing, but then some of the functionality is only in one of them all of a sudden. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I still can't find any way to remove the hex-opcodes of the assembled instructions. :( Anyone knows how to do that?

Just to be clear, what I really want is a pure assembly source listing, where all macros are expanded and all conditional assembly sections are processed (i.e. removed if they are false), nothing more. Is this possible at all?

Anyone?
Posted on 2002-12-05 17:39:37 by dELTA
Don't know about your paticular prob, but a general listing tip:

Use .list & .nolist to skip bits you don't want listed, equates for example :) .
Posted on 2002-12-05 18:07:37 by Eóin
Yes, I know, but these only leave out or include certain parts of the source file (and any generated code within these), so it doesn't help me. :(

Thanks anyway!
Posted on 2002-12-05 18:36:01 by dELTA
Just to be clear, what I really want is a pure assembly source listing, where all macros are expanded and all conditional assembly sections are processed (i.e. removed if they are false), nothing more. Is this possible at all?

Try the /Sg command line option. I think it'll give you what you're looking for. :)
Posted on 2002-12-06 12:25:11 by S/390
Ok, that seems to show most generated instructions, thanks!

I still can't get rid of the hex-opcodes though. :( Anyone?
Posted on 2002-12-07 15:04:47 by dELTA