Ok, im stumped on how Windows likes to see things:

Here is the scenario: RSRC file has the following definition

#define IRD_NAME1 123

IRD_NAME1 SRGRAMMAR DISCARDABLE "coffee.cfg"

And it compiles fine into a .res/.obj. Im trying to call funciton with the following params:
HRESULT LoadCmdFromResource(
HMODULE hModule,
const WCHAR *pszResourceName,
const WCHAR *pszResourceType,
WORD wLanguage,
SPLOADOPTIONS Options
);

The sample C++ code is this:

hr = cpRecoGrammar->LoadCmdFromResource(NULL,
MAKEINTRESOURCEW(IDR_NAME1),
L"SRGRAMMAR",
MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL), // 0x0409
SPLO_DYNAMIC);

And my ASM version is This:
     mov dx, Lang_ID

ole32 pIGrammar, ISpRecoGrammar_LoadCmdFromResource, NULL, offset wsGRAMERRES, offset wzGRAMMER, dx, SPLO_DYNAMIC
IF_COM_ERROR 'Failed to Get Grammer From Resource File'

With Definitions:
        Lang_ID       dw 0409h

UNICODE wsGRAMERRES, <123>
UNICODE wzGRAMMER, <SRGRAMMAR>

I've verified that the UNICODE macro is working properly, and aligning on DWORD boundries. NULL is allowed as a HMODULE param. And SPLO_STATIC is being pushed properly. Im litterally doing the same thing as the L"SRGRAMMAR", so i trust this param to be correct, and the dis-assembly indicates it is pushed as an address. So is the wsGRAMERRES, but some how, It keeps returning as a fault! That the Grammar was not loaded from resource. The only real *unknown* here to me is the C version of MAKEINTRESOURCE. The unicode string I've Produced was:

wsGRAMMRES db '1',0,'2',0,'3',0,0,0

I really dont get it!
If anyone can give me direction, or see an obvious error in judgement, please let me know. It would be appreciated!

:confused:
NaN
Posted on 2002-12-07 12:05:00 by NaN
Still no closer to solving this headache... However, I do have some additions to add to the Windows.inc (IMHO)

;#define MAKELANGID(p, s)       ((((WORD  )(s)) << 10) | (WORD  )(p))

;#define PRIMARYLANGID(lgid) ((WORD )(lgid) & 0x3ff)
;#define SUBLANGID(lgid) ((WORD )(lgid) >> 10)
MAKELANGID MACRO pl:REQ, sl:REQ
LOCAL aVal, aOut
%aVal equ (sl SHL 10) or pl
aOut TEXTEQU %aVal
EXITM <&aOut>
ENDM

PRIMARYLANGID MACRO lgid:REQ
LOCAL aVal, aOut
%aVal equ (lgid and 03ffh)
aOut TEXTEQU %aVal
EXITM <&aOut>
ENDM

SUBLANGID MACRO lgid:REQ
LOCAL aVal, aOut
%aVal equ (lgid SHR 10)
aOut TEXTEQU %aVal
EXITM <&aOut>
ENDM

Enjoy
:alright:
NaN
Posted on 2002-12-07 12:31:19 by NaN
Ok.. I've narrowed the problem to this:

Can anyone expain roughly how this would be casted into memory:
#define MAKEINTRESOURCEW(i) (LPWSTR)((ULONG_PTR)((WORD)(i)))

As i see it, I=number, trimmed to 16 bits, then refered by its address, and TOTALY unsure how the refered address turns into a string (unicode string).

Would it be a hex number for the address like "004040b8" in unicode? Or would it be the number stored at that address, like"123" in unicode?

Help!
:nan:
Posted on 2002-12-07 12:47:04 by NaN
Can anyone expain roughly how this would be casted into memory:

The WORD cast makes a WORD from i (it should already be one though).
ULONG_PTR casts it to the ULONG_PTR type, a type that guarantees enough bits to store a memory pointer.
LPWSTR casts the ULONG_PTR type to a the LPWSTR type.

The only thing that happens is casting of a value, nothing is referenced, the final value of the macro is the same as i, just casted to a specific type.

I think this should work:
ole32  pIGrammar, ISpRecoGrammar_LoadCmdFromResource, NULL, 123 , offset wzGRAMMER, dx, SPLO_DYNAMIC

btw, if you really want you can use a unicode string for a resource ID, but you need to prefix it with the sharp-sign (L"#123").

Thomas

P.S. PSDK on "MAKEINTRESOURCE":
Return Values
The return value is the specified value in the low-order word and zero in the high-order word.
:)
Posted on 2002-12-07 13:01:03 by Thomas
Thanx!

I finally discovered this on my own. The :mad:*&^(#:mad: documentation is very missleading in this regard.

(WCHAR *) pszUnicodeString

doesn't say ULONG to me!!

As well, the required WORD for Language ID is also a ULONG type when calling from MASM... ((:mad:$#@#$:mad: Documentation))....

The working Solution is (using my above macros):
[b]ole32  pIGrammar, ISpRecoGrammar_LoadCmdFromResource, NULL, 129, offset wzGRAMMER, MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL), SPLO_STATIC[/b]

Thanx again for confirming this Thomas!
:NaN:
Posted on 2002-12-07 13:36:17 by NaN
NaN, this is a great place to seek ASM help.. but a specific thread name would of been expected from a moderator ;)
Posted on 2002-12-08 20:32:10 by huh

...and bibbety babbety boo. Put 'em together and what have you got? DWORD!!!!! I love ASM!
Posted on 2002-12-08 21:23:18 by drhowarddrfine
drhowarddrfinedrhoward, lol :grin:

huh, you are right. I will admit I tend to be pretty bad for that. But on the flipside, im not asking new questions too often :tongue:

NaN
Posted on 2002-12-08 22:19:41 by NaN