I hope it's a very useful debugger (etc.) for those here who know how to use it. :grin:

I find 16-bit assembly fascinating and don't look forward to the effort involved in learning the Win32 API via C, then assembly. Like wizzra, I've been mainly using CodeView - as a tool in learning assembly. But I do occasionally take a break from studying old-fashioned assembly and try digesting a little more of Petzold's book. Wish there was more use for DOS assembly.

Oh btw, I did a basic install of MS VC++ 1.52c with only DOS libraries (no 16-bit MFC). When compiling, the projects are setup to output an assembly file in MASM compatible format from which I study the format and algorithms. I can then assemble/link using MASM and debug the executable using Codeview. While I have done the same in VC++ 6, the asm output and debugging was usually beyond my comprehension.
Posted on 2003-03-24 08:20:11 by Masmer
I tried Debuggy, it's not bad. The author has an unfortunate name though :)
Posted on 2003-03-24 08:40:46 by donkey
lol.... It's his name though. :grin:
Posted on 2003-03-24 08:57:08 by roticv
Am I the only one who thinks it a bit strange that any reference whatsover to SoftICE will inevitably receive comments ranging from 'post your question to numega/compuware' to doubts as to whether the poster owns a legal copy? Then people start mentioning that they like the vc++ integrated debugger without making the same assumptions. Visual Studio is fairly expensive, although the standalone vc++ package is quite a bit less. But for some inexplicable reason legal ownership of vc++ or visual studio is never questioned. I've seen vc++ linker questions being answered without hesitation, as well as other non-masm software questions. For some reason though, there seems to be a whole lot of negative assumption going on when you so much as whisper 'softice'.

:confused:
weird
Posted on 2003-03-24 11:09:50 by Will
Borland's free product Turbo Debugger is also a nice tool.
Posted on 2003-03-25 01:36:14 by Vortex
You could also try my GoBug symbolic debugger.

I would give Jeremy's GoBug a try. I use his tools, they work for me, although I admit that I am a newbie.

Greg
Posted on 2003-03-25 07:50:53 by bushpilot
I JUST CANT TWO !

dELTA

? ? just give SOFTICE a try and I bet you won't leave it for rest your life..
It's one of most powerful tool available. So I will suggest you SOFTICE.

regards

I always wonder from where you guys got the money for SICE.
Posted on 2005-05-26 07:25:44 by benjaminmaggi