Hello. I'm a newbie so please be gentle.

While I have studied a number of books on real mode assembly the last year, I am really interested in Win32 assembly. My knowledge of Windows programming using C/C++ and API/MFC is rather limited, but by following Iczelion's tutorial I see that the Win32 API is used extensively. While it's a great tutorial, it covers things I don't understand yet or at least I feel like I need further information to flesh out my understanding.

Besides the final chapter in William Jones' book, I've found no Win32 assembly books that cover everything needed from scratch. Would working my way though a book like Win32 Programming be the advisable way to prepare myself for tackling Win32 assembly? (i.e. Learn Windows API programming via C before coming back and applying it to assembly.) Is this what most of you had to do? I realize I have quite a bit of studying ahead before I'll be more then a mere novice.

I've searched through the posts on this awesome :grin: forum and see that there are no books currently devoted to Win32 assembly.
Posted on 2002-12-20 13:39:05 by Masmer
Programming Windows 9x by Charles Petzold. Read that book, it contains everything you need to know.

it's in C but shouldn't be a problem to make a direct conversion :)
Posted on 2002-12-20 13:59:36 by Hiroshimator
Thanks for assuring me about my course of action. I recently acquired Petzold's Programming Windows 95 at a used book store and have started studying it. My father bought me the Win32 Programming book mentioned above for my Christmas present too.
Posted on 2002-12-20 15:40:00 by Masmer
It's always nice to have a real book. I like the WIN32 Programming API Bible, from the Waite Group. It has tons of examples and includes a CD of the C source code. Companion books are also available, like the Database & Controls API Bible, and the Multimedia & Networking API Bible.

But I think most of the stuff you really need is available on the Web. Places like the MSDN library contain the latest API refenence material, sample programs, etc. Sadly it's also aimed mostly at the VC or VB programmer, like most API stuff these days, but it's usually pretty easy to "translate".

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

:)
Posted on 2002-12-20 16:30:27 by S/390
Masmer,

Petzold is a good choice and you will find the text of his work very useful writing Windows code.

Most have learnt windows API coding through another language like C Pascal or basic and have come into assembler with this behind them so what you will find useful is to at least be able to read enough C to understand the reference material.

The WIN32.HLP file and the MSDN online reference assume knowledge of C and it will make it a lot easier to handle API calls in assembler if you can get the idea of reading C in the reference material and converting it to assembler.

One thing that will make it a lot easier is that almost all of the parameters and return values in 32 bit windows are DWORD size values of 32 bit size. C / C++ has many different names for data sizes and types but the majority of them reduce down to 32 bit values.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-12-20 16:31:27 by hutch--
Thanks for the advice guys. Learning the Win32 API will also assist in my understanding of MFC (though MS is pushing .NET now). I have a burning desire to learn assembly and hopefully the intellect to match. I am a theoretical particle physics major, but assembly seems more difficult. <g> I envy all of you Code Warriors/Wizards.

BTW, thank you for your work on MASM32 Hutch.
Posted on 2002-12-21 06:08:32 by Masmer