When writing psuedo code what do you use ?
I have tried a few things but keep going back to pen and paper, actually lot of paper.
It becomes a bit of a pain to later document all from your loose notes and I guess somewhat inefficient.

For developing embedded stuff I have looked at Barry Kauler Eve & Goosee and it looks good, but I haven't used it yet. Will be working on current project to xmas.

http://www.myeve.org/
http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/void/goosee/index.html

What do you use for Win32 and why

Cheers
fiddler:)
Posted on 2001-09-06 05:10:44 by fiddler
Psudo code is psudo, meaning it ain't real code.

Use anything that makes sense first to you, then to some theoretical person debugging your code 20 years from now after your sad early demise.

The main ingrediant to psudo code is ENGLISH. Use simple everyday words to describe what's happening. Only get as technical as you need to, as in you may define the real variable names in psudo, but don't include real ASM instructions (excepting things like perhaps JMP).

Psudo code is a tool you make yourself, so make it as useful to yourself as you wish.
Posted on 2001-09-06 06:55:06 by Ernie
fiddler,

I basically agree with Ernie here but I wonder why you would bother, commenting your code so you know what its doing has always made sense, writing yourself an overview of bits of it helps but modern PCs are a different animal to the mainframes of old where you had to use flowcharts and the like to design a program.

I have seen people use an old program like Timeline to plot out complex projects but unless you are working with a big team, its just more clutter to keep up with.

General idea is to know what you are after in a project, design its architecture and then code it to do what you want. These considerations are tempered by what the capacity of the operating system is so you design stage will need to be linked to what you can do in coding terms.

Regards,

hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-09-06 07:33:13 by hutch--