This little program was entirely written with MASM32 by me, now it can support Syntax Hilightling for every language, such as ASM, C/C++, VB..... not like RadASM, it will not appear "offset text" when double-byte text is mixed with single-byte text, test it!

Download it from here

dREAMtHEATER
Posted on 2002-12-26 07:53:51 by dREAMtHEATER
Hi dREAMtHEATER

Very good! :alright:

Small bug: is not hilited.

KetilO
Posted on 2002-12-26 09:27:02 by KetilO
Very nice...
Does it works using richedit ?

The C highlighter need a fix up : "if(blah==0)"
if isn't highlighted (but it is if I write "if (blah...")

Regards,
Posted on 2002-12-26 10:56:14 by JCP
Also agree. Very nice!:alright:
Posted on 2002-12-26 11:06:50 by drhowarddrfine

Very nice...
Does it works using richedit ?

The C highlighter need a fix up : "if(blah==0)"
if isn't highlighted (but it is if I write "if (blah...")

Regards,

yes! it use richedit control v3.0, syntax hilighting now has some bugs, I will fix it in the next version, except syntax hilighting, NoteXPad has so many excellent features

Key Features:
Filesize is limited to the available memory (not 64k).
Automatically detects ANSI(default)/Unicode/Unicode (big endian)/UTF-8 encoded characters and
WIN(default)/UNIX/MAC file formats, when opening files, can convert between various file formats
and encodings when saving files.
Recent used files list (will handle up to 10 entries).
Customize Tools Menu.
Auto-indent & Tab Size support.
URLs can be highlighted and clickable.
Associate any file extensions with NoteXPad and can intelligently revert to former association.
Can open any files through integrating NoteXPad into Explorer.
Convert Tabs<-> Spaces.
Convert text case (Upper, Lower, Invert Case).
Copy on Select.
Paste on Copy.
Wrap to Return.
Inform you when current opened file is modifed by another application.

Other:
File Properties.
Can print files.
Find/Replace text.
Goto Line.
Re-read the file from disk.
Open files by dropping them from Windows Explorer.
Minimize NoteXPad to the System Tray.
Insert Time/Date, Another File.
Shows current location, text format/encoding, editing mode (Insert/Overwrite), key state(CAPS, NUM),
WordWrap on statusbar.
Support new Windows XP Visual Styles.
And many more...
Posted on 2002-12-26 11:13:26 by dREAMtHEATER
This is not right, right?
Also, you shouldn't write to HKLM, instead you should write to HKCU.
Anyway, nice app, congratulations

Bye.
Posted on 2002-12-26 14:23:18 by GogetaSSJ4

This is not right, right?
Also, you shouldn't write to HKLM, instead you should write to HKCU.
Anyway, nice app, congratulations

Bye.

Thanks for ur tips, but I wanna know why must write setting to HKCU, setting for current user? now file association has also some bugs, when restart the system, file are re-associated with notepad, can u give me some instruction.

with syntax highlighting, u can change font to another one, try it! I draw the text with API DrawText, but I found that though I use the same font HDC used with the one richedit used, but it is not always consistent in the result .
Posted on 2002-12-26 19:56:48 by dREAMtHEATER
The HKLM/HKCU thing is basicly just what M$ says you're supposed to do... Or to be more exact... Global settings=HKLM, per user settings=HKCU... And IIRC file association are stored in two places in the registry.... HKEY_CLASES_ROOT and under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Classes... Dunno if this helps tho....
Posted on 2002-12-27 05:36:52 by NervGaz
Well, non-Admin users can't write to HKLM, so your app can only be run by admins. For that reason you should store preferences in HKCU, unless they are global (but that would require an admin to install it/run it the first time); or you could take the non-MS way, and use ini files.
I'll try the fonts thing, but you think that would help?
Bye.
Posted on 2002-12-27 19:26:11 by GogetaSSJ4
Ok, I tried changing fonts and colors, but it didn't work. Text keeps showing as in the above picture. Resizing and scrolling doesn't help either (ok, for a brief moment it shows ok, but it then s***ws up again.
If you have anything you would like me to try, let me know (I'm on Win2K, no SPs).
Bye.
Posted on 2002-12-27 19:33:56 by GogetaSSJ4

Well, non-Admin users can't write to HKLM, so your app can only be run by admins. For that reason you should store preferences in HKCU, unless they are global (but that would require an admin to install it/run it the first time); or you could take the non-MS way, and use ini files.
I'll try the fonts thing, but you think that would help?
Bye.

I wanna know whether the property of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is same with HKLM ?
Posted on 2002-12-27 23:31:45 by dREAMtHEATER

Ok, I tried changing fonts and colors, but it didn't work. Text keeps showing as in the above picture. Resizing and scrolling doesn't help either (ok, for a brief moment it shows ok, but it then s***ws up again.
If you have anything you would like me to try, let me know (I'm on Win2K, no SPs).
Bye.

I've only tested my app on WinXP simply Chinese version, it's OK. u'd better use TURETYPE font, I think u use mixed text(single byte and double byte), can u give me some advice for syntax highlighting, I use the method issued in Icezelion tutorial 35, but my app are more compatible with double byte text
Posted on 2002-12-28 00:00:41 by dREAMtHEATER

I'll check that when i get home... If nobody else does it... heh... I'm curently on vacation so I can't mess with the box here too much...
Posted on 2002-12-28 05:53:12 by NervGaz
Very nice work!

You have been working on this for a while now, but your dedication has payed off ten fold!

Im very impressed with the extra little things you put into it before giving the world a taste test... first i've seen a preveiw window for that file open box ;)

At anyrate, good work!
:alright:
:nAn:
Posted on 2002-12-28 06:22:26 by NaN

Very nice work!

You have been working on this for a while now, but your dedication has payed off ten fold!

Im very impressed with the extra little things you put into it before giving the world a taste test... first i've seen a preveiw window for that file open box ;)

At anyrate, good work!
:alright:
:nAn:

Ur encouragement will make me improve it more better, Thx for ur supporting.
Posted on 2002-12-28 10:00:38 by dREAMtHEATER
dream,

I now use it exclusively for developing and it's replaced notepad.
Posted on 2002-12-28 11:20:08 by drhowarddrfine

I work with WinNT4 Machines, and when some user change files associantion, it only changes for him. Thus HKCR seem to be user property (based on defaultuser.dat, wich I set up on my own). Hope this helps a bit. (win2k+ are based on NT, so almost the same)

As for file association not being saved, in POLEDIT.EXE, you have one right wich is"Save settings on exit". Check if that is enabled or not. Other one related is "Disable registry editing tools", but I haven't played with this one. I dont record where they are, you have to search it. (probably are User Rights, not local machine).

IMHO, I suggest you to really replace windows' notepad (better, ask the user). I have done this at work, with my preferred text editor. The lame users don't know the difference, as it looks almost the same, just better. The editor I use uses one sinlgle .ini file in its directory (now %windir%)
I can easily set up its settings for ALL machines :grin: wich is delicious. Notepad doesn't even save its settings, in a way I could be patient to understand. If you could have option to save settings for the current logged user, would be a plus to your program, but Im not sure very uselfull. Up to you.

Regards,
Posted on 2002-12-28 11:52:42 by wicr0s0ft
Hi again.
I'm using "Courier New" on a plain ASCII-8 file, so that shouldn't bother (note the "shouldn't").
I'll test it in my WinXP later.
About the sintax highlighting, you should do a search, I remember this issue was discussed at length some time ago. In any case, I'm not the one you should ask about that, for there are people here much better qualified than me to answer you.
And about HKCR, it shouldn't be possible to write to it (unless you have privileges to do it), but I think Windows does save what you write to the user's private settings (as wicr0s0ft said).
Bye.
Posted on 2002-12-29 02:04:32 by GogetaSSJ4
Originally posted by drhowarddrfinedrhoward
dream,

I now use it exclusively for developing and it's replaced notepad.

Have a look at my notepad ;)
Posted on 2002-12-30 10:30:05 by roticv