Hi, Privalov
Your assembler is the best because of its compact size and wide versality but I think I have discovered a bug. When using your windows based assembler, FASMW, with win32inc.zip include pack it crashes when it reaches one-third of the way while assembling your template tutorial :confused: . All your other normal examples seem to be working though. I have win2k with sp3.
Posted on 2003-01-05 08:26:25 by neetocin
Yes, you're right. That was a bug in preprocessor I have left in new version by mistake. I have patched the 1.43 on my website with the fix for that bug. Clear it from your cache and download again.

(The final patched version should have time 1:43:32)
Posted on 2003-01-05 10:11:27 by Tomasz Grysztar
And about the debugger: that's great you want to help, but I have to make at least some routines that will give conversion between offset in executable file and the line of source code. Then the debugger would have to convert VA into RVA, RVA into file offset and use my routine to show the right line of source. It's not a problem to get such info at the compilation time, but for the debugger I will have to store offsets for all source lines somewhere in memory to have it still available after assembler has finished its job (well, it's just something like the listing feature). So, If you had such routines built in the FASMW, the rest of debugging module you could even write without my help anymore - if only you have enough time and will.
Posted on 2003-01-05 10:24:10 by Tomasz Grysztar
that's great you want to help, but I have to make at least some routines that will give conversion between offset in executable file and the line of source code. Then the debugger would have to convert VA into RVA, RVA into file offset and use my routine to s....

Hi Privalov.

Yes, you are right. For debuger project you must write some improvements of FASM. Actually I think you must write some kind of FASM API. There will be need of functions for compiling the source from memory, not from file., and functions getting addresses and simbols without full compilation to file (and even if the compilation is imposible by reason of errors) This will be great, because this will give us possibility to implement good features together with debuger (code completion for example) in fasmw.

But I think you must make only the most common API, and we can make the rest, in this case IMHO you will have more time to improve FASM as a assembler, and we will make the FASMW great IDE for assembler programming.

I know, I write very common and raw, but I think, Maverick and community in general will help to clean these ideas.

Regards.
Posted on 2003-01-06 06:55:26 by JohnFound
If my simple skills can be of any help, I'm in for it. :)

I'm currently trying to translate a few GTK examples to fasm (from C++), currenlty I'm tryng to understand the C++ examples, I need to brush up my C++ a little...

In my ears an API sounds good, but wouldn't make fasm a bit more complex? But I think the idea is good, Privalov, it's your master pice, what do you think of an simple FCI (FASM Compilation Interface)?
Posted on 2003-01-06 09:07:16 by scientica
scientica,
GTK is written in C, not C++.
Posted on 2003-01-06 09:45:26 by bazik
Ok, that explains a few things... :o :stupid:
Posted on 2003-01-06 10:21:03 by scientica
Back to the Win32 programming: please check the lastest FASMW package, I have added a few example programs, because people were complaining it lacks examples and documentation (well, documentation is still available for console releases only). You have to set the INCLUDE environment variable to get everything working, but I think it shouldn't be too much trouble. Also you no longer need to additional includes, all the most useful macro features born on this board are contained there.
Posted on 2003-01-07 15:08:19 by Tomasz Grysztar
Privalov,

Very very nice job!:alright:
Many thanks!

Regards,

Vortex
Posted on 2003-01-08 09:22:08 by Vortex
I've updated it again - some little improvements to resource macros etc. Sorry for the broken compatibility (only a little), but I tried to clean it all up and universalize it a bit. Base package no longer contains advanced Win32 examples, since their new a much better version are available with FASMW. Now each of distributions has its own set of examples (I have removed from the website examples that have now equivalents in the FASMW package).
I hope this all will help you write Win32 programs easier and faster.
Posted on 2003-01-09 06:54:03 by Tomasz Grysztar
Hi Privalov!

What else can I say?? :)

But, a little question.... Why don't you include FASM.TXT and WHATSNEW.TXT in the FASMW.ZIP?
And... another thing too... where's the folder containing FASM's resources? (another tip :) try to "compile" the TEETH example from your webpage... it doesn't work...:()

Regards,
POW
Posted on 2003-01-09 11:24:42 by POW
I plan to distribute PDF version with the FASMW release, but it's noe ready yet (that's why FASMW is still in the pre-releases section).
And thanks for the tip - everything should be working right now. Altough it was quick fix, so if you find any new problems, please let me know immediately.
Posted on 2003-01-09 12:53:12 by Tomasz Grysztar
Yes! ... I see... ;)

Thanks for your quick reply (and that you fixed it)!

Regards,
POW
Posted on 2003-01-09 13:06:59 by POW
With the new FASMW "%include%\win32a.inc" doesn't work it says file not found even though its in the fasmw directory...
Posted on 2003-01-09 17:19:25 by CyberGuy
CyberGuy: Have you read the "readme.txt"?
Posted on 2003-01-10 03:15:17 by Tomasz Grysztar

CyberGuy: Have you read the "readme.txt"?

Or to be clear: RTFM. ;)
Posted on 2003-01-10 03:38:26 by bazik
or show how to do it:
notepad .\readme.txt
or
gvim .\readme.txt
^ Exists for windows too, it's a nice tool :)
(btw, how to save the **** setting in gvim (in linux)? save-settings! doesn't work, every time I start gvim the colors has changed, line wrapping is on, etc...)
Posted on 2003-01-10 09:46:46 by scientica

or show how to do it:
notepad .\readme.txt
or
gvim .\readme.txt
^ Exists for windows too, it's a nice tool :)
(btw, how to save the **** setting in gvim (in linux)? save-settings! doesn't work, every time I start gvim the colors has changed, line wrapping is on, etc...)

man vimrc

(RTFM :grin: )
Posted on 2003-01-10 09:51:35 by bazik
Sorry. I thought FASM would detect the directory automatically or at least have an option in the options menu.......
Posted on 2003-01-10 14:26:15 by CyberGuy
Maybe since FASMW now can read this setting from the .INI file, I could make some installer for it, that would automatically generate the .INI file. Maybe using some freeware installer like Nullsoft's one - is anyone here familiar with it? Could it be a good idea to use such tool?
Posted on 2003-01-10 14:37:46 by Tomasz Grysztar