Hello,

I've recently decided to use FASM for its ease of use and the power it has and I think in the past month or so of learning assembly I've finally raced out of the starting gate (If you will;) ). I just have one small question, I'd like to be able to process command line arguments through argc and argv and I assume that you'd put proc main argc,argv into the section '.text' data area, but where can I get the macro include file for Proc?

Posted on 2003-01-06 17:22:34 by kairon
Its included with FASM , in the examples portion under win32. If you're using the PE format you can use the API function GetCommandLine.
Posted on 2003-01-06 17:33:02 by CyberGuy
One more thing, whenever I try to invoke a windows command it says "undefined symbol" in fasm, i put this in my file though:

include '%include%/win32as.inc'
Posted on 2003-01-06 17:38:47 by kairon
Posted on 2003-01-06 18:24:32 by Bi_Dark
It's possible you have the buggy version 1.43, because the first one I have uploaded had a two small bugs that caused problems similar to your. So please download the 1.43 once again and check whether you still get that error. If yes, please post your source here.
Posted on 2003-01-06 18:25:41 by Tomasz Grysztar
I don't think so, I just downloaded FASM yesterday and from what I saw in the fasm 1.43 thread the problem was fixed before then. Heres the basic jist of the code

format PE GUI 4.0

entry start

include '%include%/WIN32AS.INC'

section '.text' code readable executable

start: xor eax,eax
jmp near exit

exit: invoke ExitProcess,0

Forgive me if I've made a completely unrelated to FASM assembly programming boo-boo :)
By the way what does the 4.0 in GUI 4.0 mean?I looked through the examples and noticed thats what they said so I naturally put 4.0 after GUI.
Posted on 2003-01-06 18:33:27 by kairon
You have mixed two different styles of programming, because main includes from the win32inc package give you the different syntax. Here are the two correct variants you can choose:

include '%include%/WIN32AS.INC'

.code

jmp near exit

.end start

format PE GUI 4.0
entry start

include '%include%\macro\stdcall.inc'
include '%include%\macro\import.inc'

;include '%include%\equatesa\kernel.inc'
;include '%include%\equatesa\user.inc'

section '.text' code readable executable

jmp near exit

section '.idata' import data readable writeable

library kernel32,'KERNEL32.DLL'

import kernel32,ExitProcess,'ExitProcess'

4.0 is the subsystem version for the Win95 GUI, that means the executable will need at least Windows 95 to run. If you don't specify it, fasm will use default value 3.10, these executables can be run under old WinNT or Windows 3.11 with Win32s installed (but - if I recall correctly - you need to include fixups in the executable for Win32s).
Posted on 2003-01-06 18:43:46 by Tomasz Grysztar
Thank you Privalov. I'll try this tomorrow and post if I have any more problems. Keep up the good work on a powerful great assembler!:)
Posted on 2003-01-06 18:47:51 by kairon
kairon,

You can check also the thread:

http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=9510&highlight=getmainargs

Regards,

Vortex
Posted on 2003-01-07 04:35:54 by Vortex