Hello,

I was looking through my collection of ancient and discarded books o' knowledge, and I found "The New Peter Norton Programmer's Guide to the IBM PC & PS/2" ....

WOW! The Memories! .... the interrupts!:grin:

So...(You know I had to try it with MASM32) I do up a simple program. The ol' print "hello world" and exit program using the DOS interrupts. I go to *try* and assemble it for DOS... hmmm.... bummer, I can't figure out which switches I'll need to do DOS.

Ok, what switches do I need for ML.exe and Link.exe, respectively to get the small (1 segment code, 1 segment data) memory model for DOS, and get the .obj file to a DOS exe format.

Or am I just wishfully thinkin' here?
Posted on 2003-01-16 18:41:50 by Narfinator
Narf,

ML will still build DOS code but you need an OMF linker to link it as the 32 bit versions are for PE files, not MZ and COM. It was on Iczelion's site and it is on the Microsoft site but I don't have the link for that.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-01-16 21:08:07 by hutch--
Alright!

The hunt begins for the OMF linker...

"The legend of narfinator: A linker to the past"

Thanks, Hutch. Keep cool, have fun, and all that groovy stuff!
Posted on 2003-01-17 08:58:22 by Narfinator
Here's the link to Iczelion's page. Go to Downloads, LINK 5.63 is the second from the bottom.

http://win32asm.cjb.net/

:)
Posted on 2003-01-17 08:59:48 by S/390
Cool!

I'm already D/L'ing it. Oh, the joy, the rapture, the ability to make the pc speaker play mary had a little lamb off-key!

Yes, once again I'll be able to flip video modes with ancient interrupts and make goofy mistakes, like forgetting to restore the screen.

This is truly a memorable moment for me. Thank you.
Posted on 2003-01-17 09:04:37 by Narfinator