Hey all...I'm a C++ guy (gasp!) who's interested in joining the dark side...;)

I've been trying to search for my question with the search function but I can't seem to find an answer....so please bear with me if I'm asking a FAQ...

Right now my interest for programming my opengl/directx8 projects in ASM is piqued, and I want to know a few things:

(1) Is anybody using Visual Studio 6.0 to do their ASM code? Can I use the IDE to #include the necessary libraries without worrying about .inc files??

(2) If nobody is using the Studio, are they all on Hutch's win32 link that I found in Icezelion's first tutorial? (I realize this comes down to personal preference, but think of it from a newbie perspective)..

Sorry for posting questions which might appear lots..

Erik
Posted on 2001-09-12 14:14:23 by eyuzwa
You may use VS to edit the asm files, but you still need to include the files...

I personally don't have VS to compile and link my asm files, so I can't help you with that, but it should be just creating a custom compiler.
Posted on 2001-09-12 16:05:47 by Kenny
Hmmm okay I think I'm not explaining myself clearly..

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to use the normal include files that come with visual studio 6, rather than having to create/find .inc files....am I making sense?? (or am I just not explaining things very well)

I would like to still be able to use Visual Studio to edit and compile my .asm files.

ie.

//this would go at the top of the file like in a c program
#include <gl/gl.h>
#include <gl/glu.h>

//then underneath is where the asm code would go
mov eax,10h
//etc..

Until anybody has a suggestion (ie. is this even possible?), I'll just download the link that Icelizion provided in his first asm tutorial for the masm32 package I believe...

thanks to any out there who attempt to help me out!!

Erik
Posted on 2001-09-12 16:46:02 by eyuzwa
nope, not possible.

You can make a C project and use __asm {} and you can have a MASM project that uses .inc files, but not mixed. If you want to use C and asm at the same time, it would be best to use __asm {} or make your routine in masm, compile it to an .obj file and then just call it from your C program as if it's a C function. Don't forget to write the header for it though.

But, to answer your question there is no #include <stdafx.h> in MASM.
Posted on 2001-09-12 16:50:18 by Kenny
I haven't tried this, but I'm sure you can do this:

#include <gl/gl.h>

//C++ code goes here to make the window...

myglfunc (float x,y,z) //is this the right syntax?
{
__asm {
fld x
fadd 1.0f
fstp x
glVertex3f (x,y,z);
}
}

See kinda what I'm saying?
Posted on 2001-09-12 16:54:58 by Kenny
yup I'm seein and believin Kenny...

Thanks for the help though...I guess it is the only real way to use asm within visual studio...embed it within a C/C++ function..

thanks!
Erik
Posted on 2001-09-13 10:26:09 by eyuzwa