Ok i want to create my own icon editor. My problem is with the area that you would do the actuall editing. (the squares where you click to change the colors) Should i make a bunch of different windows and out them in a grid formation? Or should i draw the grid formation with lines and try and detect when the mouse clicks in them? Or is there a better way? Anything would help. Thanks.
Posted on 2001-09-17 12:08:33 by ChimpFace9000
I think drawing the grid yourself will be a lot faster... I would make an array (with width*height elements) of pixel colors (of the icon, not of the grid of course), then make a drawing procedure that can draw a grid with the colors from the array. The basic GDI functions will do here (create a brush, draw a rectangle (the pixel), destroy it and do the next pixel, when you're done, paint some grid over it), but if they are to slow, write directly to the memory of the DC (you can get a memory pointer if you use CreateDIBSection). I think the API will do though.
Take a look at my mosaic tutorial too, it's not an icon editor but a simple game that uses some kind of grid (4x4) for the game area, and has some functions to process user clicks on the control. Maybe that code will help you on your way...

Thomas
Posted on 2001-09-17 13:11:23 by Thomas
ChimpFace9000,

Have you had any luck with your icon editor and is
it available? I'm interested in any progress you
may have made!!

thanks,

farrier
Posted on 2001-11-21 05:07:13 by farrier
No, actually ive had alot of trouble with it. When i get it to a point where its usable, ill post it.
Posted on 2001-11-21 10:48:32 by ChimpFace9000
farrier
Posted on 2001-11-21 11:05:56 by farrier