Hi guys,

just a quick question. What is you favorite debugger and under which OS do you use it?

Say. I use Softice 4.05 under win98se.
At the same time I'd like to find a nice, simple debugger to use in win2000 without the need to load it before the OS (as it happens with SoftIce).

cheers
Random
Posted on 2001-10-01 08:29:27 by random
I use windbg under win2k

no need to load before os starts...it's just like any other windows program got to MS's site and look for debbugging tools for windows

the Martial
Posted on 2001-10-01 08:42:45 by Marttial_Code
To tell you guys the truth the debugger i use the most is the vc's built-in symbolic debugger:)
Posted on 2001-10-01 09:32:36 by MovingFulcrum
my favori debugger is Ollydebug, user friendly and power, try

http://home.t-online.de/home/Ollydbg/

or

http://www.ollydbg.f2s.com/

have nice day...
Posted on 2001-10-01 10:20:25 by CYDONIA
My favorite debugger is a mesasgebox:

Just print out the values of the registers in a message box, and call that macro every time your program cruds up.
Posted on 2001-10-01 12:39:57 by Kenny
My favourite debugger is trw2000.

I used SoftIce before, but windows crashed very often when I had it loaded, and I didn't like to modify autoexec.bat and reboot the computer every time I wanted to use it. Then I found trw2000. It looks and works just the same way that SI does, but you don't have to load it before windows starts, instead, you just run it like any other application.

I can really recommend this debugger, and if you have used SoftIce before, you can start using it in just a second!:alright:

(you can find it here)

/Delight
Posted on 2001-10-01 14:10:54 by Delight
My favorite is OllyDbg
Posted on 2001-10-01 15:14:06 by huh
My right hand...

My left hand...

My Keyboard....

And 10% of the grey matter between my ears (preferably alchohal free)

In the correct proportions i manage to get everything needed, debugged.

PS: I also use Softice if for memory dumping with int 3 and I3HERE. (Faster than re-compiling check code).

NaN
Posted on 2001-10-01 16:08:50 by NaN
I don't need a debugger! I write perfect optimized code without any errors :)
Posted on 2001-10-01 16:41:12 by bazik
Visual C++.

You can compile masm objects with symbolic debugging information that VC++ can read. I

Tried OllyDBG (excelent debugger) but it lacks support for the symbolic debug info of masm. That makes dificult to set a breakpoint exactly in one part of your commented sourcecode.
Posted on 2001-10-02 12:27:36 by dxantos
At the same time I'd like to find a nice, simple debugger to use in win2000 without the need to load it before the OS (as it happens with SoftIce).

AFAIK you can freely load and unload Softice on Win2k. You won't be able to debug device drivers and the like (if I remember correctly), but who would want to do that anyway? :)
Posted on 2001-10-02 13:34:03 by Tola
IF DEBUG
invoke wsprintf....
invoke print...
ENDIF

:D
Posted on 2001-10-02 16:33:05 by Zynaps
Of course Sice... no need to rewrite autoexec.bat, just a write down a start menu with two choices: 1) Load Sice 2) Normal Mode.
Moreover there are a lot of great and useful adds-in, for example IceDump or FPLoader...
And you can do symbolic debugging too very easily (just two option buttons on my IDE, compile normal files or compile files for debugging).

I like TRW2000 too, but the user interface is not so feasible (no mouse on my PC is able to work...).

Maybe VC++ is good too, but each time I start it a lot of time go away waiting for a window to appear... so I usually get tired of it.

Probably a MessageBox is useful too, but not in extreme debugging...

A brain can help, but used together with a good debugger is a lethal weapon...

Bye, Saiwa

:stupid:
Posted on 2001-10-02 16:50:35 by Saiwa
My favorite is the SoftICE. It's a very powerful debugger and I don't have any problem with it. Also I use some my own tools. Instead of message box I use a special program and some macros to print debug information. Look at them in attach :)
Posted on 2001-10-02 21:19:15 by vkim
I see that my file debug.zip has been downloaded 14 times. Please, write to me is it really useful for you? What can I do to perfect this tool?
Bye :)
Posted on 2001-10-03 23:48:32 by vkim
i like it ... small and does the
job. good work.

TBD

ps. works on NT too :alright:
Posted on 2001-10-04 04:56:46 by TBD
Hi vkim

This is great. Think I will start the work to include this into RadASM:alright:

KetilO
Posted on 2001-10-04 05:20:50 by KetilO
KetiIO,
I would be very glad if You will do this! But there is a problem in dbgwin.exe. It doesn't work on Windows 2000. I hope I'll decide this problem in a few days.
Posted on 2001-10-04 05:58:30 by vkim
vkim thats great.

I will watch this thread closely.

KetilO
Posted on 2001-10-04 06:08:16 by KetilO
trw2000 = buggy.
softice = good, but on NT lacks features and is buggy.
ollydbg = good when you can't be arsed to load softice.
vc debugger = good when debugging C programs.

You can LOAD softice(ntice) at will under win2k, but not unload it.
However, to use ntice under win2k, you have to turn off two memory
protection features, which removes very much of the stability of win2k...
so I only disable this when I need ntice. This requires a reboot, which
means I effectively cannot load ntice "at will" :).

A messagebox is not good for debugging. It's good for the casual "value
tracking", which can't really be called debugging. Debugging = tracing.
I worked on my first floating-point code yesterday, and I would have been
VERY sad to not have a debugger able of tracing :P.
Posted on 2001-10-04 06:48:20 by f0dder