:confused: Call int 2f function out of win32 without creating DLL or VDX
Win32 code runs on Ring 3 Mode to call interrupts you must be in RIng 0 Mode how can I solve this problem within one .exe without creating or using 16bit DLL or VXD???

WHO knows you can help me please?????
Posted on 2001-10-03 17:08:10 by Otanium
Can you be more specific... ?

Why do you want to do that?

in Windows the right way of doing hardware related things is to use a VXD (or variations) it is not recomended to do it otherway

you could run a DOS virtual machine, and i guess you can call DOS functions inside...with some limitations since you are allready in protected mode

however this will not work on all Windows versions
Posted on 2001-10-03 17:40:49 by BogdanOntanu

:confused: Call int 2f function out of win32 without creating DLL or VDX
Win32 code runs on Ring 3 Mode to call interrupts you must be in RIng 0 Mode how can I solve this problem within one .exe without creating or using 16bit DLL or VXD???

WHO knows you can help me please?????

i guess u need cdrom raw access (IDE/ATAPI since for scsi u need to deal with aspi layer) under win9x (as u'll see the solution is win32 version dependent):

win9x :
imho (w/o messing with QT_Thunk) a good method is :

K32!ORD_01 (aka VxDCall0) -> vwin32_Int31hDispatch -> DPMI SimulateRM_int (0x2f, &ClientStruct) ; fill ClientSutrct regs with a regs setup for mscdex service 0x1510 (device driver request); note that buffers must be passed in RM para-seg format so u need to use GlobalDosAlloc, MapSL, and so on...

win2k/xp: forget int 2f and just open cd physical device:

QueryDosDevice or DefineDosDevice on \\.\Device\RawCdRom ->
CreateFile -> DeviceIoControl + IOCTL_CDROM_RAW_READ or others IOCTL_CDROM_xxxx IOCLTs

for details check M. Pietrek's bible and MSDN.

Cu,

kill3xx
Posted on 2001-10-03 18:57:00 by kill3xx
:alright:

I wanna use Hardware ints without using DLL and VXD without making any evidence.

I need it in win9x enviroment NT I have already a working model:

Cool do you have any source sample doing this:

win9x :
imho (w/o messing with QT_Thunk) a good method is :

K32!ORD_01 (aka VxDCall0) -> vwin32_Int31hDispatch -> DPMI SimulateRM_int (0x2f, &ClientStruct) ; fill ClientSutrct regs with a regs setup for mscdex service 0x1510 (device driver request); note that buffers must be passed in RM para-seg format so u need to use GlobalDosAlloc, MapSL, and so on...

Please, thx :)
Posted on 2001-10-04 03:56:08 by Otanium
Otanium,
the above method described by kill3xxx may work (described in Pietreks book "Windows secrets), but in the example mentioned there is still a need to call GlobalDosAlloc, which is a krnl386 function and may be difficult to call from a Win32 app.

So I think you should us give more infos.

BTW, hardware ints in Win9X are mapped to ints 08-0F and 70-77 and should never be called via INT xx. Possibly you mean software ints?

japheth
Posted on 2001-10-04 04:19:19 by japheth
I'm just wondering... why not use a VXD/KMD approach? It seems
less hassle to get access to what you want that way, it's more
documented, and it's "the proper" way to do lowlevel stuff. Why
must you do it in an undocumented way? Viral writing? Or some new
protection that we will all hate?
Posted on 2001-10-04 06:13:59 by f0dder

I just wanna get access do low level function like int21, int2f and int13 without getting traced and blocked. I do not want to great external files like 16 bit DLL or VDX because this will be very clearly that I do stuff like this!!!!!

I am a poor student too I need help not paranoic answers !!!!

best greet to denmark
Posted on 2001-10-04 08:34:55 by Otanium
The fact you don't want to get "found out" is suspicious.

Unless you can tell us exactly what you are trying to do, it is very difficult to give an answer that can help.

There aren't many legitimate reasons for wanting to perform unnoticed actions on a device, especially the sort of things a poor student would concern themselves with!

Mirno
Posted on 2001-10-04 08:47:26 by Mirno
ASPI isn't exactly the most dangerous function on any modern computer today :)

It looks to me he's trying to write a CD-ROM copy protection type of app, checking for specific bad sectors and stuff without installing anything and without giving crackers any hints...

Anyway, the only way to stop your app from being copied is to make sure cracker's think it's not worth the trouble, which means coding a copy protection that is of better quality than the program itself :)
Posted on 2001-10-04 11:00:37 by Qweerdy