Where can i find a Win32 API reference? I want someone like the old Ralph Brown interrupt list. Thanks
Posted on 2001-10-15 12:30:52 by Francis Drake 2001
Well, it's not Ralph Brown's List, but it does come straight from the vendor ;)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/win32/catfunc_26m1.asp

Hope this helps,
lackluster
Posted on 2001-10-15 12:35:56 by lackluster
Francis Drake 2001,

If you would prefer the Windows API HelpFile I'd like to suggest visiting Iczelion's site:

http://win32asm.rxsp.com/

The Win32 API reference Helpfile is on one of the download pages there, along with lots of other goodies :alright:
Posted on 2001-10-15 15:15:48 by gscundiff
It is not updated to the last version, bat maybe you like it :grin:.

http://www.ecma.ch/ecma1/STAND/ECMA-234.HTM
Posted on 2001-10-15 16:55:26 by LuHa
Ok, but does anybody know a place to download the full Windows Apis ? I mean, wininet, winsock, kernel, user, etc ...
I found some .chm, some .hlp and some html files containing a lot of info ...
But, is there any help or something with the complete reference ??

Thank you guys in advance...

-MagicMac.
Posted on 2001-10-15 17:36:47 by magicmac
This one should be the latest platform SDK (documentation included) dated August 2001. Answer 'no' at the question for installing the plugin.

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/psdk-full.htm
Posted on 2001-10-15 17:56:54 by LuHa
Go to the SOURCE ! You can download the Platform SDK
directly from Microsoft. The newest version is MUCH easier
to download and install than it used to be. :grin:

I see LuHa has faster fingers than me :grin:
Posted on 2001-10-15 18:05:04 by anon
The quickest version to use is the WIN32.HLP file as it is in winhelp format. It handles win32 based stuff fine but for later information you need either the MSDN CDs or the current edition of the platformsdk which are in html format.

Either way, there is no simple reference for the API set, there are about 11000 functions so you do need an organised help file.

Regards,

hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-10-15 18:18:50 by hutch--
I find CHM easier to use than winhelp, all the time. At least if the
CHMs are properly made (like MSDN). Faster to browse, usually better
cross references, better layout, and the format is also more flexible...

win32.hlp is old and outdated and a ***** to navigate (imo).
It does cover the basic stuff you need, though. And it has the advantage
of being lots smaller than the platformsdk.
Posted on 2001-10-15 19:10:57 by f0dder
My free subscription, with Visual Studio, to MSDN ran out a couple of months ago. I think it's something like $17 if you want the latest CD set or DVD from MS.

It's just a copy of the MSDN site. If you really want the latest and greatest, the web site is always current. The CDs are published quarterly.

WIN32.HLP is a little old, but it covers the basics pretty well. And at 12 meg, vs 1.6 GIG, it's a little easier to deal with...

:)

ed to add...

I guess what I'm saying is that I use WIN32.HLP as my "quick reference". Along with RC.HLP, the MASM .HLP files, instruction references .HLP files, and Agner's optimization guide, I've got most of what I need. It's "local" and quick. If I need more detailed API info, then I hit my "old" copy of MSDN. And if I really want "up to date" goodies, the web site is only a click away... :grin:
Posted on 2001-10-15 21:24:43 by S/390
Hey guys, I've just downloaded the 350 Mb link that LuHa posted a few above, and please, if you are searching for THE BEST Api reference go ahead and download it now !!
It's f***ing amazing !!
Yeah, you have it all there, fast like bullet. I was using the classic win32api.hlp and searching for other APIs on the Web while I was needing (needing? o faca English) them but now, I have it all packed (?) there.
Yeah, I know, it's so big, but you won't waste more time searching for APIs or downloading them from the Web...
You simply go to the platform.chm file and gotcha, everything is linked from there ..
Yeah, every single api, even the reference for other stuff like JScript, VBScript, DHTML, HTML, TAPI, MAPI, SAPI, CAPI, DAPI (?)
I love this madafaca great board. :)
THanx a lot LuHa !!!! :o
Posted on 2001-10-16 20:58:24 by magicmac
Hi

I have downloaded the full platform SDK and i have extracted to C:\SDK. However when i run Setup it takes me to C:\SDK\default.htm and if i choose install from the Download menu i get the following error message:

"The stylesheet does not contain a document element. The stylesheet may be emty, or it may not be a well formed XML document."

Can someone tell me what is the problem please
Posted on 2003-04-09 04:22:19 by shiny
it's probably corrupted :/

you can try giving it a random doc element

just place

<foo> at the beginning before the other tags
</foo> at the end after the other tags (just like <html></html> )

it might do the trick.
Posted on 2003-04-09 05:26:10 by Hiroshimator
I downloaded it (full version with the cabs and the batch to extract) from the MS website and had no problem to make it work...
Are you sure you have a recent IE version, since psdk install is done in Internet Explorer (why make things simple when you can make them complicated ?).
Posted on 2003-04-09 08:32:41 by JCP
hey,
ive downloaded the full ~300 MB sdk,
and i can accesss the help files, and docs,
only thing is, it gives you the example code in C++.. (this is the platform Docs),
is there an ASM version, or what..??

EDIT:
Oh, i read some of it, and im guessing.. you use the same calls, just change it so that it works in asm, yes, no.. ? :)

thanks,
gunblade
Posted on 2003-04-09 12:42:54 by Gunblade
yes.

The world of MS Windows was dominated by c/c++ and thus the examples and documentation is geared towards it (and I hope it stays that way, now with MS pushing .NET :/ )
Posted on 2003-04-09 13:01:05 by Hiroshimator
damn.... well, is there somewhere where i can get this documentation, but for ASM rather than C++? :confused:

thanks again,
Gunblade
Posted on 2003-04-09 13:31:48 by Gunblade
Well, I doubt there is any place. The asm community is *small* as compared with other programming languages.
Posted on 2003-04-09 14:40:24 by roticv
just learn to convert, it's not that hard :)

you'll see almost everything is a DWORD ;)
Posted on 2003-04-09 15:26:16 by Hiroshimator

you'll see almost everything is a DWORD ;)

True that!!
Posted on 2003-04-09 17:27:31 by x86asm