This is driving me crazy. I'm not using any speacal apis exclusive to win9x and whenever I bring my programs to my friends house who has nt2000 they won't even open, its not crashing, at least then it would be doing something. I'm using DialogBoxParam. This has happened before, and somehow I got the program to work, but I have no clue what I did, so I think it was a fluke. I've even tried reassembling and linking on my friends computer just to see if it would make a difference.

Many thanks for your help!!!

P.S. if I ever figuire this out, I'll release a working copy my programs to win32asm. I have a cd indexer, and a dll that turns the indexes to databases. I just don't want to release stuff with problems I can't figuire out. I'll attach the code to my program if anybody does't have a general solutoin to this problem.

THANKS!!!
Posted on 2001-10-15 16:57:06 by GreySpatula
"wont even open" or "cause application crash"?. If it's the latter,
remember to preserve ebx,esi,edi in your wndproc, if you use them.
(And in any other callbacks for that matter).
Posted on 2001-10-15 17:33:37 by f0dder
just a note, if your using a dialogbox, then
make sure your dialogprocedure returns 0

as stated in api for the dlgproc

QUOTE
Except in response to the WM_INITDIALOG message, the dialogbox procedure should return nonzero if it processes the message, and zero if it does not.

so if you have something like

.if eax == WM_COMMAND

.elseif == some_CMD

.endif
xor eax, eax <-- make sure that you return zero.
ret

would have to see your code to be of any further help. I do know
from time to time i link the wrong resource or use the wrong identifier for my dlg template, this will cause problems also.

anyways
hope this helps
prs
Posted on 2001-10-15 19:08:02 by prs
Yes, do not ever forget to return 0 by default for unprocessed messages! This mistake was awful for me when I moved to Windows 2000.
Posted on 2001-10-15 19:51:59 by comrade
I had an excess comma in the resource file in the menu definition.
Apparently win9x can handle in just fine, but it bombs out in win2k/(probaly NT as a whole)!

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR ASSISTANCE!!!

In a few weeks I'll be releasing the crappy version on my program with its source incase anybody might learn something from it. The next version will be using a linked list algorithm if I can figuire it out. And I will be implementing opitimizations.
Posted on 2001-10-24 04:18:04 by GreyShadow