I am well on my way in designing the initial kernel for my OS called DynatOS. This kernel is the i386 version base. I'm still trying to figure out how I keep my sanity while doing this...
Posted on 2001-10-22 11:43:21 by SpooK
Just to show you are not the only one ...

i have also restarted work to my SOL OS after i have seen the Menuet OS go so nicely...

PS
=====
SOL OS will also be a 32bitASM ONLY OS (like Menuet)

so keep up the good work ... you are not alone... Hmmm you say C/C++ kernel? ...ooops... where is the connection to Win32Asm... or at least with 32bitASM ?
Posted on 2001-10-22 13:02:40 by BogdanOntanu
LOL, I forgot to mention the code chages since my first post a while ago. I have decided to make the kernel for each processor in pure assembly (using netwide for my initial i386, and then the rest of the 32-bit processor line). After that, I am designing a custom C/C++ (and probably core assembly) language to "sit" on top of the kernel. I am suprised you didn't get the "keep my sanity" bit, I doubt anyone would have problems with something as simple as C... LOL. I am glad you have begun to work on your OS too, it is nice to see people thinking differently from Micro$haft or Un|x/Linux. Despite what some people think, designing a new user interface (mainly graphical) would not change the main problems Linux has. Also, designing new ideas for Micro$haft OSes will not change the fact that their OSes generally suck. Despite the common belief that the more people on a programming team the better the team will be, that could not be any further from the truth. Perhaps some day when the borg will assimilate humanity, then many people who have a unifed mind will be better than a small programming team... but until that happens, the small programming team will be more powerful and efficient than anything.
Posted on 2001-10-22 13:24:36 by SpooK
I totally agree ;)
Posted on 2001-10-22 13:53:00 by BogdanOntanu
really? me too! LOL. Hey Ontanu, if you ever want to swap ideas (or combine them) just email me... mmmkay.
Posted on 2001-10-22 13:55:30 by SpooK
Until i have not done something better than Windoz or Linux or even Menuet ... MySelf... :stupid:
Posted on 2001-10-22 13:58:00 by BogdanOntanu
Hi @ all...
I have a little doubt... developing an OS is a huge work... moreover it is very very huge developing it completely in ASM.
In many cases, as far as I have read, using asm is not usefull at all.
If you're interested in developing an OS, do you know the ReactOS? The team (there are many but many people workinh on it) is developing an NT compatible OS. Ok... it will still be Windows, but it will be optimized, efficient and - primarily - STABLE.
So... what about switching to ReactOS and join the developer team?

Sincerely,
Daniel

P.S.
I hope no one will get offended of what I wrote. ;)
Posted on 2001-10-22 14:40:45 by dguzz
Love the optimism in here. The problem with "programmers" is the ones who call themselves programmers when in fact, they are nothing more than coders. Of course working in ASM is hard work, but it is quite the opposite in its usefulness as you stated. In a way, however, you are right... the OS isn't going to be in ASM, but the kernel is, that is the core of the OS, anyone who writes a kernel in C is asking for trouble from the start. The trick is, you make a ultra fast and small kernel, and then worry about OS and all of its functions. So far, all I have seen is OSes written in C and some assembly and then you have bad programs, etc... Wouldn't it be more effiecient to dedicate the CPU to the kernel and have the OS access the kernel for all of its needs including program execution (sub-emulation) instead of making programs in a inefficient language for a inefficient operating system? On a further note, making a system solely on the basis of making it "NT Compatible" is a pathetic excuse for a operating system (but I totally agree with providing execution support for programs designed for other OSes). When making a new OS, you cannot base it on something that already exsists, otherwise you fall into the same loopholes... think outside the box... actually get into the hardware and see how it works. I don't expect to ever be done with this project, but I also don't expect to sell out to what is easy and inefficient. That is all I have to say about that.
Posted on 2001-10-23 09:39:57 by SpooK
I like thge sound of this os your makin spook. If you ever need someone to help with web design or something graphics related i can help ^_^ i am a begining programmer but i am a proffesional artist if you want to see some of my later sites visit

http://www.envy.nu/lostdomain
and
http://www.envy.nu/binarydesign

If you want my help ( for free ) just drop me a line at crackpipe2k@hotmail.com .
Posted on 2001-10-23 10:03:31 by Crackpipe2k
Thanks. It will be a good while before I will even have the opprotunity to worry about that stage of development, but I will keep your offer in mind. ;)
Posted on 2001-10-23 17:41:40 by SpooK
Well said spook.
Sounds like you have quite some drive to learn for yourself - that's good.
Don't let all your "outside the box" thinking get you boxed in? :)
Posted on 2001-10-23 20:46:46 by bitRAKE
Thanks. When I get to the point of where I will require more people for the job (OS design, etc...) there will be a post in the recruiting section. Until then, this is not a recruiting thread ;)
Posted on 2001-10-25 09:56:29 by SpooK