Hello all,

I'm trying to find information on how to make a child window dock to the side of a MDI window? Whats the process to do this sort of thing?

Like always thanks ahead!
Posted on 2001-11-10 17:43:24 by JamesE
Hmmmm.. Well since your from the KW area, i figure i should at least give this post some acknowledgement (been up for a while with no response):

From what i understand about this topic is its one of the last few "excallaburs" to be yanked from the MASM stone. Early last summer Ernie posted some COM stuff (but no source) demonstrating a buggy attempt (70% working with a few quirks)... the board oohed and awwed over it, everyone asked for the source, and then everyone forgot in the silence that soon came.

I have a hunch that Ernie himself didnt even finish it, because soon after he got involved in more hardware type assembly.....

Now, last i've heard, he'z living with "Waldo" somewhere in the New York area :)

If you want to leave your mark, and join Iczelions wall of MASM32 excellence, study it up on the MSDN and then write a tut on how you managed to "pull" excallabur from the stone :) ... because, if im not mistaken, no else knows how to do it.

If i've inpired you, Good luck. If not, sorry :P
NaN
Posted on 2001-11-12 00:52:45 by NaN
it differs, if you want to dock child windows (like UltraEdit) or child
toolbars (MS Office style) - toolbars would be a own task to do.

Another question is, if you want dynamic docking with mouse un-
docking and little rects drawn during dragging. Otherwise "static"
docking is much more easier, just make a menu item "docked" and change
the docked state.

"Static" docked windows are not as hard as pulling excalibur around,
its more like fighting with it against a couple of soldiers :)
Posted on 2001-11-12 06:25:20 by beaster
JamesE,

The likely hood that you'll get any examples is slim to nil. Docking windows is a closely kept secret... you are best to examine the MFC source and figure it out... I've asked in many C and assembly forums for a concrete example and have yet to get any answer other than "SetParent(), GetParent()..." and a few other API's and other info that doesn't point anyone in the right direction. But the more work they put into figuring it out, the less likely anyone will share the secret...

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2001-11-12 16:32:32 by _Shawn
Well cry babies, :grin: here it is.

KetilO
Posted on 2001-11-12 18:51:02 by KetilO
Well that worked out better than i was crying for...

NaN
Posted on 2001-11-12 21:26:03 by NaN
... takes the pacifier from KetilO and shuts up... like a good lil' boy

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2001-11-12 21:28:13 by _Shawn
hehh

Now for the "CoolMenu" that IE uses... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the awesome code KetilO, I (and everyone else I'm sure) really appreciates it!!! :alright:
Posted on 2001-11-12 21:59:09 by JamesE
The undone seems impossible until it is done.
One more reason why perseverence is the only answer
to every question. ;)
Posted on 2001-11-12 23:01:32 by bitRAKE
I give it a week, and BitRake has got it wipped into a two step macro..

NaN
Posted on 2001-11-13 00:33:22 by NaN
No, knee deep in DX8, and sinking fast. :)
Posted on 2001-11-13 00:48:45 by bitRAKE
GREAT!
Posted on 2001-11-13 04:04:12 by beaster