I hate to ask what I think must be a newbie-type question, but I'm sure I'm overlooking the obvious here. How do I go about calling up a dialog stored in an imported dll (not using LoadLibrary)?
Posted on 2001-11-11 15:49:09 by Will
Well, first of all, you have to obtain the module handle of the dll that contains the dialog resource by calling GetModuleHandle, this time, using the full name of the dll (such as "blah.dll") as its parameter. After you got the handle, call DialogBoxParam or CreateDialogParam, passing the handle as its first argument so DialogBoxParam/CreateDialogParam knows where to look for the dialog resource.
Posted on 2001-11-11 18:13:34 by Iczelion
That's actually pretty similar to what I was trying. It's working now though, and for the sake of anyone else having trouble with this I'll share what my problem was.

During those late night coding sessions it's easy to overlook obvious things. What I neglected to notice is that my little test app didn't list my little test dll among it's imports. I always liked the way masm did that, ignoring imports if they weren't explicitly used in your app. It makes it easy (for me) to be a sloppy programmer. So I put an empty function in my test dll, and called it from a place in my test app that jmp'ed over it without ever calling it. The calling of the dll's dialog works flawlessly now.

....live and learn eh?
Posted on 2001-11-13 13:08:04 by Will