In 1986 BASIC was no longer enough on my parents Atari 130XE (6502). By mid year we had an Atari 520ST (68000). It took me quite a long time to switch to x86 assembler - I still miss 680x0 assembler. In 1994 I found a network of IBM 80286's in the trash - belonged to the CA state government, but had depreciated to the point of no value.

I would just like to say that I'm amazed at what is produced by the 'newbies' here! :alright:
Posted on 2001-11-13 20:36:17 by bitRAKE
jeez-louise....... You guys have great memories.

All I remember is that I started programming (not on asm though) when I was in 4th or 5th grade on a c-64. It was some sort of basic. "20 goto 10" kind of stuff. I went to a (really) small private school that only had one c-64, and I hogged the hell out of it. I remember getting 'banned' from using THE computer for a whole week for programming. We weren't allowed to do anything but use the educational software that the school had.

My mom had given me a book on programming games for the c-64 and I had been slowly saving my progress on a cassette tape that I had been bringing back and forth from home to school for a week or so. Anyways, I finally finished typing in all the code and had started playing the game (some crappy text based rpg) about 2 minutes before I got busted. That bitch!

Anyways, I discovered girls not too far after that so I took a break for awhile. I picked up vb4 about 10 yrs later, moved to vb5 a yr later, and moved to 16 bit c a yr later. Then (ashamed to admit) I got into cracking, and I discovered I couldn't do much without a good knowledge of asm. That grew into 32 bit asm programming, and I haven't thought much about cracking since. 8n)
Posted on 2001-11-14 01:58:39 by Will
4oh4,

Glad to see another man walking the straight and narrow path. :tongue:

Writing your own code is far more satisfying than crawling through someone elses junk to find that elusive byte only to find that the program really is junk when you get it going.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2001-11-14 02:40:59 by hutch--
My parents couldn't stop me from coding. ;)
I'd take naps during the day and wake up in the middle of the night to use the computer when no one else was on it. They thought the lack of sleep was effecting my health - or rather my sanity, and I got a computer of my own to hack away on! (c: That just increased my access, and I wasn't about to stop coding. I'd bring printouts to school and trace through code during class - everyone at grade school thought I was crazy. Teachers were just amazed, and luckily didn't bother me. Now I just have to tell my girlfriend to not wait up for me, because I'm going to be up late!
Posted on 2001-11-14 02:47:49 by bitRAKE
Wow! You have a girlfriend AND she doesn't get mad at you for coding late into the night?! Amazing. ;) Are you still in school bitRAKE? Just asking to see how long you've been doing this. Cheers.

Oops. Nevermind. I just saw you posted all of that a couple entries ago :grin:
Posted on 2001-11-14 03:54:07 by AlexEiffel
I started on 6502 in the mid-80s, those Apple IIe's really rocked! I used the school printer to print out an entire disassembled listing of the ROM, then documented every single routine in it, i still have that listing tucked away somewhere :)

Anyway, my parents considered that i was spending "too much time on those damn computers", so they made me leave school and start working. Little did they realise what computers would evolve to :)

I got back into asm about 9 months ago, but as a professional developer i also program in maybe another dozen languages as well (it's been a while since i sat down and counted them).

I always have loved asm the most, and always will :) And my wife has gotten used to me coding away till 2 or 3am every night, she understands that she has no choice ;)
Posted on 2001-11-14 04:48:15 by sluggy

Writing your own code is far more satisfying than crawling through someone elses junk to find that elusive byte only to find that the program really is junk when you get it going.

You're damn right hutch, cracking is boring. Reverse engineering can
be fun, though ;). Especially combined with writing your own protections.
But enough about that, not really the right board :).
Posted on 2001-11-14 07:24:39 by f0dder
Started with 8080 in 1980. Been out of it for 15 year doing C. Got back in now I am getting my masters. I am taking a micro class. We are learning the 68000 and 8086. Both are new to me.

I've done 8080,8085,8061,8065,8096,6502.
Posted on 2001-11-14 11:14:45 by mplafleur
Hi!
Started out on a 6502 way back. It was an Oric-1, heard of that one? Moved on to C64. Haven't been doing Win32 for more than a few months though. I love it! :-)
Posted on 2001-11-14 12:10:24 by Storck
Fooder

cracking boring ... mmmmmhhhhhhh

never mind, as you say it's the wrong board

Random
Posted on 2001-11-14 12:53:26 by random
on C=64 with 6510 back in 1989 i think.

1st code was:

lda #00
sta $d020
rts

Then i moved to Amiga (MC68000).
Posted on 2001-11-14 14:19:05 by marsface
I agree with f0dder that the design of software protection schemes is an important area of programming that requires a sound knowledge of low level binary to make effective techniques to protect software.

It is one of the misfortunes of the current era that this skill has been bundled with cracking and similar and the effect is that many who came into programming recently will never get the chance to learn this important area of programming and will be vulnerable to cracking groups as a consequence.

It seems that the type of legislation that banned cracking was not well enough designed to keep the most useful thing that evolved from this area of pursuit and the victims are the hard working honest programmers who get their programs ripped of by cracking groups because they have been denied access to this information.

Sad to say this is not an uncommon result from badly thought out legislation where the only ones who profit from this approach are large corporations that can play "big brother" while the small independent software developer gets ripped off and no-one will help them.

Fortunately in assembler you work with the low level instructions that high level programmers try and avoid so if you need to protect your programs for commercial reasons, you at least have the methods available if you need it.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2001-11-14 15:36:14 by hutch--
YEAAAAA!!! I clicked in "less than 1 year"

I have been programming in Visual Basic, Visual Basic Scripting, and programs such as Div 2, 3DWebmaster or POV Ray 3.1. But i began in assembly language in March endings, this year. As i didnt have Internet (and no access to compilers) i began programming with debugger and i did it till september. This month i began with HLA with MASM. Right now i have more programs created with debugger than with MASM.
Learning MASM, as you see. And learning assembly also everyday. I love this language and i hope to continue learning.
Right now i am 16 years old.
Posted on 2001-11-15 19:29:41 by CodeLover
I started with my MSX1, back in 1985, trying to draw screens on the fly, instaed of waiting for the slow Basic routines to draw it. Kept on it when I bought an Amiga in 1990 -cool machine- and a 486 in 1994. I tried to learn x86 asm then, but when I saw all that stupid segments and interrupts stuff said for myself: 'Never again!'.

But passing the years I've seen that x86 assemblers have developed so much that coding for the x86 is almost as easy as coding for the Z-80A -not as reliable, of course-, so I've started coding again in asm this year. The only thing that worries me is how complex are getting assemblers themselves; learning asm can be hard or not, but learning to use an assembler is a nuisance! And, BTW, I don't like the API either, it's useful but it's a mess.

Regards,

Wavemaker
Posted on 2001-11-15 21:34:43 by Wavemaker
I started programming in '95 first year of highschool in QBasic then moved on to Turbo C++ 3 for DOS. Back then, I couldn't go anywhere (and still can't :grin:) without takin along a programming book. Even between races at the motocross, I'd ride, get something to drink and eat, then head to the side of the track with my good old programming book, no matter how tired I was! It was awesome, two things I really enjoyed!

It's really a shame when I hear others talk about parents and even teachers (as was my case) not liking them working on the computer or not letting them in that computer class, not letting them get that cool new computer language or compiler so they can learn and actually make some really cool apps, in the process learning how the computer actually works!! Maybe it's because most programmers startout by wanting to program games and when their parents hear that they just ingore them... the thought of having a future career making games probably seems wwaayy out of reach for their childern... but what they are really doing is *making* it out of reach for them by not providing the compiler instead of that bbgun or sling shot. Anyone know what I mean? Reading through some of the previous responses, it seems this is a pretty common thing, of course at a variable degree. :(

But anyways, thanks for my parents for letting me eventualy get that new language and for me for just ignoring the computer science teacher (can you believe that my CS teacher), I could then skyrocket my learning and knowledge heck of a lot more and get into some truely cool stuff that seems to only fascinate proggers!

VB is *currently* my primary language as I can do anything that I could posibly want to do at this point BUT Win32ASM is catching up fast!. My ASM programming started off slow using TASM 5 on my old Tandy 1000sx I got from a friend. Now for about 8 months I've been programming in MASM and loving every bit of it with my ASM book in hand where ever I go then a little vb programming where dev time is smaller.

Thanks to this board and the kind fellow programmers here, the programming world *will be* a better place!! even if it's just one person at a time!! And just maybe, just maybe, kids will get into programming more earlier than ever, without problems, because of family, friends, teachers, and Internet board support! Yeah, and who knows when the next genus kid, will turn out a whole new approach to software development and start the being of a whole new techincal revolution.

Thanks! Sorry for the long post! :alright:
Posted on 2001-11-15 22:39:34 by JamesE
Ughh...I know what you mean by unsupportive teachers and guidance councelors. When I was in high school, for three years (I didn't know they had programming classes my first year) I signed up for the programming classes. Every year, they refused to give them to me. In response, every year I went to the guidance councelor to change my schedule and every time she refused. "There are too many kids in there already." Yeah, right. I know those classes only have like 15 kids. Actually, that was probably technically correct. My school was intended for 2000 kids and we had about 4000. That sure didn't stop them from putting 35 or 40 kids in my music class though. Grrr... alright, I will stop with the ranting now.
Posted on 2001-11-16 09:47:18 by AlexEiffel
Well, in my situation I just went to the library and read everything I could get my hands on: Byte magazine, Popular Science, and various programming books. I programmed without a computer when one wasn't availible. Now most the libraries in the US have computers - not that you are allowed to run whatever you want on them. This gave me plenty of time to read the CPU manuals cover to cover, because I had to know exactly what each instruction did to program without the computer. :)
Posted on 2001-11-16 18:56:18 by bitRAKE
Over a year ago with me... I started reading the Intel Pentium III Programming Guides straight up, that is how I learned assembly. Then came along WinAsm32 (for me), which was an excellent combonation of Windows OS calls and the power of Assembly... but I still go for the hardcore asm stuff ;)
Posted on 2001-11-18 07:37:47 by SpooK
I started asm programming in 1988 with MSX1 (Goldstar),
and 1991 8088PC .

waw, nice years! only DOS...

CYDONIA

Posted on 2001-11-18 17:06:39 by CYDONIA
Started on Z80 and I8080 on CP/M machines at work and ZxSpectrum at home....can remember the time anymore...

it was arround 1985 ;) and i was much younger ...
Posted on 2001-11-19 22:48:37 by BogdanOntanu