Hi All,

I've been trying to get a good answer to my question: If I wanted to make a piece of ASM code that did the same a TSR does BUT under windows, do I have to write a VxD then? How would I go about writing it? What do I have to do? I need my piece of ASM code to stay put, and wait for a couple of keys (hot keys) to be pressed, then write into a textfile, and stay put again.

Anybody out here can point me in the right direction, or think about a good book/tutorial that can help me out?

I did a little ASM back in my days, and I do a little C/C++ as well, but I've never been into windows programming (of any kind).

Thanks for you help.

Narizio.
Posted on 2001-11-13 13:42:04 by not_registered
From what I've heard, anything you load in 16b mode will run slower than if it is loaded in 32b mode. I almost thing that it could even slow windows down.
Posted on 2001-11-13 16:03:34 by eet_1024
Well, you (usually) don't need VXDs. And TSR doesn't have much
meaning under windows, since it's multitasking. If you don't want
your app to quit, just don't quit it :].

You don't even need a window, although it's good to create one
(even if invisible) so taskman doesn't say your app isn't responding.
Posted on 2001-11-13 16:46:23 by f0dder
Windows has a very much different architecture to DOS.

Every single program running under Windows is running simutainously together. Another program that is running at the same time as another program is actualy the norm. Even Threads are different parts of the same program runing at the same time.

The only thing different about VxDs, is that they have a much greater range of control (and responsiblity) over the OS. 99% of all things achiviable under windows can be achived at application level.
Posted on 2001-11-13 19:35:02 by huh
the bios keyboard driver is replaced by windows drivers, but only in the system VM. So a dos tsr waiting for keyboard input only will get keys in dos VMs. For this task you possibly dont need to write a vxd.

japheth
Posted on 2001-11-14 02:50:29 by japheth